Chapter 23: Black and Gold

C H A P T E R ( 2 3 )

Hi Darling,

Chuck has whisked me off for a romantic night away! I have no idea where he is taking me, but we have our phones if there is an emergency.

Lots of Love,

Mum xx

Charlotte scrunched the note up in her palm groaning out loud in frustration. She looked over at Eli who was scratching his head.

'I think this constitutes an emergency,' he muttered nodding his head at her phone.

'For sure,' Charlotte agreed already dialing, her face turning paler by the second. Her mother's phone went straight to voicemail and she punched in Chuck's number by heart, shuffling from one foot to the other in anticipation.

'Leave them a message,' Eli instructed when they heard Chuck's voicemail.

'Chuck it's Charlotte, please call me as soon as you get this. He's here...'

She left it short and sweet, he'd understand the urgency. He was first on the scene when Charlotte first escaped him in the forest. He remembered her pure terror splashed across her face when he held her tightly in a crushing hug.

'Oh God Eli, should we call the police?' She was panicking now. 'Or should we wait for Chuck?'

For the first time since she's known him, he looked a little spooked out. 'I don't know Char, are you allowed to call the police? Being in witness protection?'

'Well we're not supposed to let anyone know we're in protection, but he's here Eli. And he obviously wanted me to know he was here, he made eye contact and smiled at me,' she shuddered. 'I think I have to call them. I don't feel safe.'

Eli swore under his breath, 'I feel like I'm at a disadvantage here, I have no idea who you're running from and what he's done. How can I protect you when I don't know anything?'

Charlotte's face softened for a moment, he wanted to protect her? She realized he was completely right, if they came face to face with him, Eli needed to know everything and to know exactly what he is capable of.

'Not here though,' she shook her head. 'We can't stay here, not when I know he was here last night. He could be watching us right now.' The familiar chills crept up her spine.

''We'll go back to my house until Chuck calls back, we'll loop around town for a while so we'll definitely know if someone is following us,' Eli instructed collecting up Charlotte's bag and handing it to her gently. 'I saw that on a TV show, it's worth a try,' he shrugged.

Charlotte wanted to smile, 'That's kind of adorable.'

He rolled his eyes, 'Come on.' Taking her hand again he led her quickly to the car and locking it. They drove to Eli's house, and true to his word Eli lapped Winchester a few times while they both nervously looked in side mirrors trying to spot him. When Eli deemed it safe they pulled into his driveway practically sprinting inside. The good thing about Eli being ridiculously rich was his security system, which was one of the best.

Charlotte checked her phone again while they took a seat in the kitchen, Eli popping the kettle on. No missed calls or messages.

'So are you going to tell me who he is?'

Charlotte looked up as a piece of hair fell in front of her eyes, she moved it behind her ears and sighed, 'To be honest it all started when I saw my first guitar.'

Eli took a seat opposite her and shot her an encouraging smile.

'I was seven and at this cool open mike night at our local pub with my Dad,' Charlotte began. 'Dad used to take me to all of these things with him, he was in a band himself and played the drums. I never like the drums they were too loud and all I can remember is when Mum and Dad used to have these huge fights he would go straight to the basement and bang around on his drums like crazy. Mum would sit upstairs crying and ever since then I hated the drums.'