20: Sweet Sorrow

For three weeks Briant stayed with Emmett and Lilian at their camp site. In that time, he tried to find out all he could about Lilian, Emmett's plans and the child they would soon bring into the world. Nothing of what he learned was good. He was surprised to find that Emmett and Lilian had actually managed to get to knew each other pretty well throughout their first three days together. When he quizzed Lilian on her life, trying to be discrete, Emmett showed no surprise over any of the answers she gave. She was recovering well and the more she recovered the more he could see the chemistry between them building. Briant considered it time he should be moving on and heading back to Aveira.

He was worried Emmett's fears over his son were true, that it was only keeping Lilian alive until its birth and then it would kill her. If that was true, he wanted them to have some time alone together before she died. It was only fair. Besides, all those lingering kisses and longing stares he caught passing between them, when they thought he was off hunting, were getting a little too much for him to bear. They needed privacy and he could do with some himself, with Aveira.

It was late into the night when Briant dropped the bomb that he was going to leave the camp. Lilian was sleeping, snuggled into Emmett again and her sickness seemed to be kept at bay though she was visibly growing before their eyes. The baby was already in an advanced stage of pregnancy. He didn't believe it would be long before it was brought into the world.

"I shall take my leave, brother. I believe the danger you are in cannot be cured by any other than our own people. Each day Lilian grows stronger...and I fear, also does your child." Emmett gave Briant a warning look as he reached that part of the conversation. He hadn't told Lilian of his fears that their child might try to kill her. He was afraid it would upset her. He wasn't sure what he would do to his brother if Briant told her his suspicions and made her believe there was no hope. Thankfully, he just sighed and said something else.

"Our people will not cast you out. They will aid you when you need it the most. I am returning to take Aveira as my mate. I will remain with her people until you return to her clan or I feel the loss of your death. Then I shall return to our people and tell them of your fate...and how you had love before you died." Briant feared that he would feel Emmett's death long before he ever knew of his child being born. He was sure that it was so strong and evil that it would attempt to kill all those it should show loyalty to. He couldn't imagine it being tied to anyone, least of all a whole family network.

"Thank you brother. Indeed if help is required, I shall turn to you first amongst Aveira's people." Emmett thanked Briant for his concern, but wanted him to know that it wasn't needed. He was sad to see his brother leave, but also relieved. He hadn't been able to keep his opinions of his son to himself and it grieved him to know his own brother, his own blood was afraid of his son.

He watched with a heavy heart as Briant stood back from the camp fire and transformed into his wolf form. He nodded once to his brother then took off into the woods, running off into the distance in the hope of returning quickly to his mate. Emmett sighed as he looked down at Lilian sleeping, her head rested upon his chest, the cover over her growing stomach. He was surprised when she spoke.

"Will he be returning?" She wondered, in a soft voice.

"No, my love. He is returning to his mate. It is not healthy for our people who have mates to be apart for long periods of time. There is a constant grief in our hearts until we are reunited." He explained thoughtfully. He thought she'd been asleep, though he was relieved she wasn't. There were many private things they had to discuss before their son was born and they hadn't been able to do so without Briant amongst them. Now they could talk freely.

"Did you grieve while we were apart?" Lilian wondered in a whisper, unsure of whether she should have asked or not. Emmett smiled down at her and turned his body into hers. It seemed like he approved and that made her happy. Their attraction had only grown since he had rescued her from the vampire clan house. She had been hopeful that with Briant gone, they might get the change to explore their feelings for one another once more.