Chapter Two

Lauren smiled as she stood back, admiring her artwork. She'd been working on this particular piece for weeks, and the feeling of satisfaction was only just beginning to set in as she started to notice her progress. 

Dusting off any remains of the charcoal she had been using, the green-eyed girl hummed to herself as she packed away all her materials. As she got ready to leave the art room, she remembered that she had promised Camila that she'd meet her after training. 

 She pushed open the heavy doors of the gym, green eyes searching nervously for her friend. Lauren immediately took her usual spot on the bleachers, and beamed when she located Camila, who was dribbling a basketball down the court.As the training session continued, Lauren kept her eyes on her friend, once again enraptured by her actions. 

Her gaze followed the girl; studying the way her slender but strong arms moved, and the definition in the muscles of her legs as she ran up and down the court. Lauren's eyes widened as Camila lifted up her shirt to wipe at the sweat glistening on her brow, exposing tanned, taut abs. Shaking her head, she cleared her mind of any distracting thoughts and recalled the way Camila used to be, back when they were younger. 

She remembered the bows and frills that the brown-eyed girl used to wear constantly, the softness of her rosy cheeks and the childish air that seemed to follow her wherever she went. Now, Camila opted for wearing button downs and henley shirts, and almost always had a snapback on her head. 

Lauren wondered how she had changed so much, but still managed to carry the same distinct traits that made her unique. And she had to admit, the way Camila acted and dressed now was strangely attractive to her. Maybe it was the way that she carried herself, with this new, 'masculine' side of her that Lauren had never seen.

The green-eyed girl was shaken out of her thoughts as a sweaty post-training Camila greeted her. The younger girl launched herself onto Lauren, tackling her as her strong arms encased her body. Lauren immediately smiled at the feeling of being this close to her best friend and squeezed back tightly in reciprocation. 

 The moment was soon soured by the sticky feeling on sweat on her bare skin, and she pushed the brown-eyed girl away lightly, laughing in the process."Go get changed, and put some deodorant on, Camz!" 

She swatted Camila away, ignoring her smug remarks of "you know you like it". 

Camila slung an arm over her shoulder as she came out of the gym, freshly changed into skinny jeans, a button down and a snapback atop her head.Lauren smiled, lowering the brown-eyed girl's arm until their fingers were entwined. As they walked down the path to the school gates, Camila swung their arms and cracked jokes the whole way. 

 "You want me to give you a ride home?" The younger of the two asked.

 Lauren hesitated, then nodded. 

 They spent the rest of the way home singing obnoxiously to the radio and doing duets. Lauren's eyes shone in the late afternoon sunlight, her hair glowing a rich brown. 

She blushed as she caught Camila staring at her in her peripheral vision while they stopped at a red light.The sun was starting to set and the sky was a myriad of pinks and yellows. Her skin felt warm in the summer air."Looks like we're here," Camila grinned, slowing down in front of the Jauregui house. 

 Lauren nodded, glancing out the window. In a burst of courage, she leaned over the centre console and placed a light kiss of the brown-eyed girl's cheek. 

 "Thanks for the ride home, Camz."  She was out of the car and running to her front door in an instant. 

__________________

Hope your enjoyng the story!