Chapter 2

Viren stood still outside Jeevika's house just comforting her by holding her tightly. He rubbed her back, moved her hair behind her ear, even whispered comforting words to her but she couldn't and wouldn't stop crying. Although Viren pieced together what Jeevika had said, it made no sense. How and what led to this traumatic time?

"Where is she? How is she doing now?" Viren trying asking Jeevika.

"In the hospital, I.. I came home to change before going back. She's been going through it all alone Viren"

Jeevika's cries only seemed to get louder and her words were being mumbled now.

"Let's go, take me there. I want to see her" Viren told Jeevika.

Viren dropped of his bags inside the home before he called for another taxi to take to the hospital with Jeevika. He held her hand the whole time throughout. Hearing the news gave Viren a gut-wrenching feeling, he had no idea how Jeevika was dealing with this tragedy. As they reached the hospital, Jeevika and Viren walked to where her grandmother was resting. They stood outside the room, just seeing her in peace.

Viren came back with two coffees' and he sat with Jeevika on the bench outside. She was calmer than before; seeing Viren had clouded her emotions more than she had expected.

"How did this all happen Jeevika?" Viren asked trying to getting a better idea of the full story.

"She's has breast cancer, Viren. She got diagnosed a few months ago and once she found out it was at the fourth stage already. Surgery was no longer an option especially since it started spreading. I didn't find out about this till the day I reached home. The only person who knew I was going home was you Viren. I wanted to surprise her and be with her on my birthday. It'd been years since I last celebrated with her. But when I got home, the servant told me that she was admitted in the hospital. My heart dropped and I ran to get to her. She refused to tell me even when I confronted her, but she eventually broke the news to me. I refused to believe it, but it was real. I couldn't escape this harsh reality. All of a sudden everything didn't seem worth it anymore. Then earlier today she passed out in her bedroom right before lunch and we quickly brought her to the hospital"

"Did you speak to her doctors? What did they say?" questioned Viren.

"She's not going to make it Viren, they've given her a few weeks left. No more" Jeevika said with a few lone tears falling out her eyes.

"I'm sorry Jeevika, I wish I could do something. But you've got to be strong for her. She's loved you more than anything and anyone in this entire world. Put on a brave face for her" consoled Viren.

"I'm trying, but the thought of being all alone in this world scares me"

Jeevika rested her head on Viren's shoulder picturing what life would look like now onwards.

"You'll never be alone; you have me"

Viren placed his head softly on top of Jeevika's and wrapped his arm around Jeevika's waist.