Richmond Palace, 1525

20th August 1525
This is the diary of Rose López, aged 11.
My Mama gave me this diary today, as she says she recived one when she left Spain with Queen Catherine when she was my age. I shall use this diary as a companion, and i shall write all my secrets, thoughts and feelings in this book. I will have to hide it well!
I will start by telling you about me and the world i know.
My mother, Isabel,  is a Spanish lady to the  Spanish Queen, Catherine. They left together for England in 1501, when Catherine of Aragon left to become wife of Prince Arthur and Queen of England. When Arthur died, Catherine married the current King Henry the eighth, then known as Prince Harry. My mother met my father, Amadis,   in England, who, had arrived to England a year earlier from Spain. Together they had two twin sons and three daughters. I am the 2nd olest, with my older sister Maria being 16.
I will have to go now. My hand is hurting.

1st September, 1525
Im sorry i havent written in so long. Everyday i have been going to 'work' with mama and Maria. We sit and chat to the Queen,and sometimes we do emboirdery. The Spanish use golds and rich blues to do patterns, but i like to do the Tudor rose, the symbol of the royal family, after wich i am named. The Queen Catherine is so kind and gentle, yet so fiesty and clever. After a while today, they stopped talking in English and started to gossip in Spanish. I understand the languge, though i cant write well in it. I kept hearing the name "Anne Boleyn" pop up. I asked Maria to explain, but she ran of giggiling. So, i asked Thomas More when he passed me. He lowered his voice and said "rumor has it, young Rose, that the king is in love with another." By that he meant Anne. "But how can he love someone else if he is married?" I asked. Thomas chuckeld. "If only it was that simple!" and then he walked away. I am so confused.

13th September 1525
Maria is in love! She told our family that she is in love with a young man named Alec Stewart. He is A Scottish nobleman, and distantly related to their royal family. He is also sixteen like her. Papa is pleased, but Mama is not. She says she doesnt like the Scots, as they are allies of France, the enemy to Spain. Lorenzo and John, my younger brothers told her to "grow up", and my baby sister Hollie cooded happily.
I am sure Mama will come round soon.

20th October 1525
Maria has told me that Princess Mary is at Ludlow Castle. Its because of Henrys illegitimate son, Henry Fitzroy. He is six years old, and his mother is not the Queen, but a lady named Bessie Blount. Were they in love? Are all married couples so unhappy that they look elsewhere for company?
Henry Fitzroy was bought here in June, and made Duke of Richmond and Somerset, ans his own household. Queen Catherine flew into a rage, as her own daughter had not been treated so grandly. Soon, the king gave in and granted his young daughter a household at Ludlow Castle. I would hate to be a princess. Its bad enough being just a girl. I so want to join my father and brothers in archery, but instead i stay indoors around a hot table sowing.