Incomplete

I own nothing from OUAT, I don't own the cast, crew, plots, characters, and wish I did but I do not. All I own is this idea of mine I cooked up last night after seeing some old couple walking down the street holding hands and I just thought "Oh my God, they were young once, they have a love story that no one knows and it's more romantic than the crap you here nowadays." And so I decided to write this and I hope it goes swimmingly!

Incomplete

3rd Person

Enchanted Forest, 1930

Emma Swan, only six years old and already too wise for her young age, walks down the cobbled streets of her kingdom, receiving many bows from the people as they spot their crowned Princess near them. Her guards keep near her, making sure that she and her parents are always securely protected, something she usually dislikes as she craves adventure, but the small area of the kingdom they're visiting fills her with fear so the guards are a welcome sight.

Her mother had gotten her a pair of handmade shoes for her birthday, however, they had accidentally been sent to a workhouse in the more dangerous part of town that no one would ever venture near. It was where the murders happened most frequently. Emma's not stupid, she knows the world isn't bright and filled with daisies everywhere, so when she was told this place existed nearby her nose immediately twitched with excitement and she had hidden in her parent's carriage until they were too far from the castle to turn back.

So here she was, at least seven armed guards surrounding her all trembling in fear, while the small six years old was far more excited than one should be.

Following the guards, Emma and her parents are lead to a workhouse, one that has a woman outside of it crying over how much pain she's in, but before they can ask they're ushered into the place.

At first, the young Princess is shocked by how small the workhouse is, because, for the number of workers, it's tiny, with children squished into one area at the back and women to the other side, which makes Emma wonder where all the men are.

Secondly, Emma's disgust of the place only becomes more apparent when she sees her Uncle James and is reminded that this place belongs to him, it's his fault these people have such awful lives at work, but her mother reminds her in a whisper that these people are criminals and deserve it. But she asks herself, how can children be criminals?

Walking down a small stairwell to be in the children's section only succeeds in making Emma sadder, she's not scared, she knows if they try anything they'll be killed, and that scares them, not her. She's sad because these children look so hopeful at the sight of her like she'll play with them, like she's a friend, and in a strange way she wishes she could be.

However, a guard spots a little boy boxing her shoes up and she moves away from the little girl she was staring at because she was making a doll Emma liked.

The boy is small, skinny like he's not seen food in days, with dark brown hair that looks like it needs a wash, falling in front of his face, as it needs cutting. His arms are so skinny it makes Emma wonder if he can even lift the small pair of shoes, with bruises and blisters from burns going up, which Emma winces at.

He seems slightly excited when he sees her, much like the children thinking she wants to play, but sees her attention is to the shoes so he casts his eyes downwards, but doesn't look as surprised or heartbroken as the other children did, and Emma wonders if he's used to it, used to not being enough and being overlooked, and it breaks Emma's heart into pieces.

In fact, it makes her so upset that she looks up at him, and searches his face as he concentrates on fixing up the box to look nice for her, his tongue poking through his teeth, not seeming bothered by the bruise forming under his left eye or the dirt that's been there for days.