Chapter 14

The next few days went much the same way. The robot would drop off the morning meal which consisted of some foul smelling gruel. Kiera, Matt and the Commander sat and ate together because they were in the same cell.

Then, the Commander would excuse himself to go sit in a far corner of the cell. He wouldn't tell them what he was doing.

Kiera would be taken away to be tortured and wouldn't be back all day until just before curfew. Matt would help her and just be there for her when she needed him. He would hug her if she needed it and he would leave her alone if she needed it. They would eat their night meal and then sleep. Nightmares ensued for Kiera. She would wake up breathing heavily and in a cold sweat.

She would fall back asleep as she was always exhausted because of the torture. She would never sleep well and she would be even more exhausted the next day.

After four days of this, Kiera woke up in the morning to Commander Holt shaking her awake. She sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"What do you want, sir?" She asked quietly.

He pulled out a piece of machinery and handed it to her "This is a matter transporter. You need to get out of here."

"How will this help me?" She asked.

"It will disassemble your body's atoms and send them somewhere." He said excitedly "It will only last once."

"You have been here longer." She protested.

The Commander looked her in the eye and said "You are the one who can get out and save us. Press this button. It will take an hour or so to activate."

Kiera pressed the button and the machine started to hum "If this doesn't work, will I be dead?"

The Commander nodded and said "You will be released either way."

"Thank you." She said with all the sincerity she could muster.

He hid the machine back in the corner and shook Matt awake. The Commander spoke again "Kiera, I have to ask you for a favour."

"Anything." She said "What is it?"

"I have a daughter." He started "Her name is Katie. I want you to find her and tell her that I love her and miss her everyday. I want to see her again and hug her and never leave her side. Tell that I'm not dead and that you will come find me again. Tell her I love her." He had tears in his eyes.

Matt nodded "Tell her I miss her too." When Kiera nodded, Matt pulled her into a hug and said "Good luck, Kiera."

She hugged him back and said "See you soon."

The robot came by with their morning meal. Then, when he came to take Kiera away for torture, she looked back at Matt and the Commander and whispered "Goodbye."

The hour was almost up.

She was chained to the torture room wall and Haggar came in as usual. Haggar used a metal pole and struck her arms where enormous yellow and purple bruises had formed.

Lightning erupted through Kiera's body. Tears trickled from her eyes and she thought about Matt and the Commander. She vowed to herself that she would come back and save them. No matter what. She would die if she had to. She wanted to get them out of here.

Then, Haggar swung the pole at her chest. Kiera felt a few snaps and acid flooded her chest. She screamed through gritted teeth. The hour had to be up by now, didn't it?

Haggar stepped closer to her and said "You screamed earlier this time. Maybe ribs are your weak spot." She put the pole down and grabbed a knife.

Then, the horrible woman put the knife against on one of Kiera's ribs and traced the rib. The knife slit into her skin, blood burbled from the wound. Kiera's breathing was heavy. Haggar repeated the process four times on Kiera's left side.

Kiera suddenly felt light headed. She looked down and saw her body start to fade. This was it. She was leaving.

Haggar screamed in anger and lunged forward. Kiera was fading too fast. The knife stabbed into her arm and she screamed again.

Then, she was gone. Her consciousness floated through the void and she thought that this was a peaceful way to die.

She felt her body molecules reassemble and the pain came back.

Her vision came back and she saw that she was standing in the control room of the Paladins castle ship.

"Hi guys." She said. Then groaned. Her eyes rolled up in her head and she collapsed. Her body hit the floor and she felt herself start to black out.

Her ears felt like they were full of cotton. She heard people shouting and someone rolled her onto her back. The pain in her arm sharply increased as someone pulled the blade out of her arm. She screamed like an animal. She couldn't thrash. It hurt too much.

Tears trickled from her eyes as she watched the Paladins faces floating around her. Someone bandaged her arm wound and her ribs.

"Where have you been?" Someone asked "How did you get this hurt? How did you get here?"

Kiera struggled to sit up, ignoring the others telling her to lie down "I was back in Galra prison."

"Wait, back in Galra prison?" It was Lance "You've been there before?"

Kiera nodded "I don't want to get into explaining what happened there. Long story short, I was tortured."

Pidge poked her in the leg and Kiera yelped. Pidge asked "Then why are your legs so bruised?"

"I-I" Kiera stuttered and fresh tears rolled down her face "I don't want to say."

"We can't help you if you don't tell us." Shiro said gently.

More tears on Kiera's cheeks as she whispered "Haggar forced someone to take advantage of me." She put her face in her hands, whimpering, and her tears dropped between her fingers "It happened when I was there the first time too. Haggar would always heal me but" she choked "My innocence is gone."

"What?!?" Alluras voice sounded furious "How dare they?"

"I have a message." Kiera said, focusing on the one good thing from her experience. She looked up at Pidge and knew why she had recognized Matt "I have a message for Katie Holt."

Pidge flinched "What?"

Shiro said "How did you-"

Kiera interrupted him and said "I have a message for Katie Holt." She took a breath "From her father and brother."