Cd Girl

"Excuse me?"

I turned to see a tall, curly haired guy.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Yeah, actually," he said. "Did you pick this song?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Knew it," he winked. "Beautiful song for a beautiful girl."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah right."

I walked back up the aisle, putting CDs back on the shelf. The guy followed me spouting random pick up lines, either making me roll my eyes or snort. Finally, I reached the counter and slipped behind it, helping the people in line. I handed a woman the correct change and turned to face the guy. I waited for him to put his CD on the counter. Instead, he leaned against the counter and winked.

"If you're not going to buy anything, leave," I said in a bored tone.

"Go out with me," he said.

I studied him. "You're high," I decided.

"Nope," he grinned.

"Then you're delusional," I said.

"Wow, big words," he grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not stupid."

"Clearly," the guy said. "So will you go out with me?"

"Let me think," I said sarcastically, "Um, no."

The guy grinned, albeit less confidently. "You'll change your mind quick enough."

I rolled my eyes at his cockiness. He winked one more time and tapped a CD cover. I glanced down and saw a One Direction album.

"Give it a listen," he said. "They're good."

...

And so it began. The guy, I later found out his name was Harry, visited the store every day. He would ask me out and I'd always say no. Eventually he stopped asking and just hang out around me. He wouldn't talk, just watch me. Sometimes I would be in an aisle and I'd glance up and he'd be in the next aisle over, smiling at me. I was in charge of picking the music that played and he always complemented me on my musical taste. Whenever a song came on that he liked, he would dance in the aisles, cracking me up. After the song ended he would always wink at me, and then disappear into another aisle. He was there so much; some people decided that he worked there. Sometimes he could help them, other times he directed them to me. He even learned my schedule, so he was only there when I was.

Then, one day, he disappeared. I don't know where he went. He just stopped coming, and at first I was sad, but then I told myself that it didn't matter. I didn't like him. I remembered when he told me I'd change my mind quick enough about dating him and I couldn't help but think that he was right.