Scene Two

(LYNN is sleeping. DREAM LYNN sits at the piano, RILEY stands next to her, drinking out of his flask. GUITARIST sits in the corner, watching, holding his guitar but not playing it.)

(Spotlight on the GUITARIST)

(DREAM LYNN plays what sounds like the end of a song.)

RILEY

That sounds pretty good, Lynn. You wrote that?

DREAM LYNN

Yeah...it's the first song I've actually written...What do you think? I messed up a couple of parts.

RILEY

It's really good. I only have one suggestion for you.

DREAM LYNN

What's that?

RILEY

You're so tense. You don't believe in yourself.

DREAM LYNN

Yes, I do.

RILEY

No, I can see it. When you're playing the song, you're thinking too much. You're worrying about what the next note is and where your fingers are going and if you're keeping a good rhythm.

DREAM LYNN

Aren't you supposed to worry about those things?

RILEY

Sure. It's important to get the technique down. But, see, you know this song. You know where your fingers go, you know the notes, you know the rhythm. So now, you just have to feel it. You have to mean it. It has to be the truth. Coming from you.

DREAM LYNN

I see.

RILEY

You know how we say no secrets, right?

DREAM LYNN

Yeah.

RILEY

Well, you can't have any secrets with the piano, either. When you sit down at the piano, that's the most honest time in your life.

DREAM LYNN

Alright...(She closes her eyes and plays a section of the song again. It's much better this time.)

RILEY

That's great! See, that's what I mean! (He takes a sip from his flask.)

DREAM LYNN

Thanks! (Pause.) Riley, I think I'm going to try the whole college thing soon.

RILEY

Why?

DREAM LYNN

Well, I'm almost 20 years old. I just feel like...it'd be a good experience. I could study music.

RILEY

But you're already a good pianist.

(Beat.)

DREAM LYNN

Why didn't you go to college, Riley?

RILEY

I just wanted to play.

DREAM LYNN

You could have studied music.

RILEY

I don't need a degree to be a musician. It's just not for me. Look, we're doing fine. We both have jobs, we pay our bills, we play music together! I mean, you should go to college if you want to. But look at me! I just joined a band, I'm teaching lessons, I'm making a living doing this. And I never got a degree.