Prologue

ARMIN'S POV

My heart shattered as I stared down at the line of coffins that lie in front of me. My blonde hair slightly wavered against my face as Christa pressed hers into my shoulder, sobbing. Annie fell to her knees in front of a particular coffin, in depression and disbelief. "Eren..." she mumbled softly. Mikasa gently placed a warm and on Annie's shoulder and closed her eyes. "I know we can get through this..." she says. Corporal Levi approaches onto the stage and signals us to sit down. We looked at all the people crying in the church, feeling like we'd join them at any moment. I shrug. "Sorry, Corporal," I say as we all find our seats in the church. Levi stands tall and clears his throat before public speaking. "We are gathered here today not only to celebrate the extinction of the dreaded Titans, but also here to remember the great soldiers who had risked their lives in the process of saving ours." I begin to tear up when Levi took a long list from his pocket. "These beloved people are Marco Bott, Mike Zacharias, Thomas Wagner, Mina Carolina, Petra Ral..." It seemed Levi proceeded to go on and on. So many deaths... Many more sorrows. Annie hugged her knees and broke into tears when she heard Levi say the words "Eren Jaeger". Mikasa patted Annie's shoulder and pulled her red scarf to her mouth. "It'll be okay..." she mumbles. My stomach was tied in knots. I couldn't think. 'Why did this happen?' I think to myself. 'Why did we have to lose so many beloved soldiers?'

CHRISTA'S POV

Tears welled in my eyes as I grasped Armin's hand tightly. I was sorrowful of all these deaths, lost and wondering why this all happened. Uncontrollably, I wrapped my arms around Armin and sobbed. "I... I'm really glad you survived, Armin..." I told him. I looked up at his facial features, and he smiled down at me, but I could tell his eyes were still wet with tears. "Christa, i've already lost my best friend. If I lost you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself," he told me. I smile, then I find myself resting my head on his chest. I felt his arms wrap around my waist, and it causes a light pink shade to dust my cheeks.