Sweat it Out (Part One)

There were three short knocks at the door. Ugh. Who was calling in first thing on Sunday? Josie felt sicker than ever. Her head was thumping and stomach felt as if it were filled with a thousand butterflies flitting around. She stayed tucked up her bed, the duvet pulled up to her chin. Luckily, the mystery knocker seemed to have left. At least, that's what she thought.

A few seconds later, she heard the door unlock, opening with a slight creak. Her eyes widened in surprise. How did this person get in? 

"Who's there?" She croaked out, her voice shaky. Next, she heard footsteps pattering up the stairs. She gulped, hurting the sores in her throat.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the short man with chocolate brown hair and deep brown eyes appear in the doorway. "David." She smiled, still struggling to use her voice. David Schmitt, her boyfriend, was carrying a large plastic bag, which seemed will to the brim with random junk. 

"I got you some stuff. You know, to make you feel better." He grinned and sat on the edge of the bed. As he rifled through the bag, Josie raised an eyebrow. 

"Wait... How did you know I was sick?" She coughed a little after the sentence, and David gave her a worried glance. 

"Don't you remember texting me last night? You said you couldn't come to the movies with Kyle and me because you felt sicker than a dog with diarrhoea?" Josie couldn't help but giggle at the phrase. 

"No way did I say that!" She hit David on the arm playfully. He chuckled. 

"Okay, that wasn't exactly what you said. But it's close enough." He reached over and swept a piece of hair out of her hair. "Anyway, want to see what I got you?"  

Josie nodded. "Sure."

David started to pull random items out of the bag. These included some large oranges, two big bottles of water, a large collection of CDs, and a framed photo of herself and David. 

"I'll sign it if you want." David said, pointing to the photo. "After all, you're my biggest fan." 

"Don't get cocky, Schmitt." Josie teased. David chuckled and placed the photo on the bedside table. He stood up again, grabbing the oranges. "I'll put these in the kitchen." He quickly took the oranges to the kitchen as Josie looked through the other items. She was so lucky to have a boyfriend like David, who looked after her even when she was ill. Most boys she had been with didn't want anything to do with her when she was sick.

"They're in the fridge. I'll make you a fruit salad later if you like." David said as he walked back into the room. He sat on the edge of the bed again. 

"Thank you D." Josie croaked, smiling at him. His lips brushed over hers, and she smiled even more.  

"You'll get sick too if you kiss me." 

"I don't give a fuck." And with that, he lay down properly and pressed his lips to hers. She kissed the boy back, not able to help the smile that formed on her lips. David brought a hand up to her cheek, cupping her face lightly.

The kiss was over almost as quickly as it started. They kept their faces close, smiling at each other for a few minutes. Josie heard David's text tone, and she almost jumped a mile. 

"You better get that." Her voice cracked a little. 

"Fuck it. It's probably just Kyle." David smiled sweetly at her. Carefully, he placed the back of his hand to Josie's forehead. "You're boiling hot, sweetie." He looked worried. "I think you need some rest." 

"Okay... Are you going to leave now?" Josie looked away, obviously upset about David having to leave. 

"Of course not! I could do with some sleep too..." He yawned for effect. He wrapped his arms around Josie's waist and kissed her softly one last time.  

"I'll see you when we wake up?" He asked. 

"Sure thing." Josie replied, suddenly more tired than anything. She closed her eyes, and almost instantly fell asleep in David's warm arms.