6. Handsome Kidnappers

September 25, 12:10 A.M.

Tallahassee, Florida, U.S.A.

The Split Bean.

IRENE.

When a girl has been out terrorizing and bombing all night, she has no patience for slow internet. So, she goes to the Split Bean. With its fake fireplace and rustic look, it feels cozy in a way the lair just doesn't. Unfortunately, there I encounter a different test for my patience.

"Can I buy you a coffee, sweetheart?" The boy says, leaning back against the countertop to face me. I roll my eyes, mouth occupied with the top of a straw. He's been here every other day this past week. Girls have started to flock here after school as a result. Entrancing eyes, a large muscled body and a clean pressed shirt would normally make a good impression on me too, but this one isn't just proud, he's arrogant too. It covers his lack of self-confidence quite nicely. Of course, no one else notices—they're too busy mooning over his smiles. Were it not for the excellent teas here, I would've left by now.

 Were it not for the excellent teas here, I would've left by now

"I have my drink, thanks."

"A piece of strawberry cake then? I hear that's what this coffee house is famous for."

"I'll pass, thank you." I just want to get back to work.

"My name's Cody, by the way. What's yours?"

"Sorry, but aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Aren't you?" He retorts with a smirk, crossing his arms. The silver tooth glints in the corner of his mouth. It's the only real interesting thing about the guy. "I want to talk you about something."

Right. I shrug, disinterested, and turn my attention back to my green tea. I can guess what he wants.

"Why'd you do it?" He whines, pouting in an attempt to look endearing, "You've lost me half my fans in just a few days!"

When all he gets is more slurping from me, his pout deepens. "Did someone dare you to do it? Or do you just enjoy playing pranks on innocent guys like me?"

If the definition of innocent these days is giving false promises to girls who will believe anything their greek god says, then yeah, you're totally innocent. Though I may or may not have been responsible for spreading a certain rumor to ruin that for him, he has no reason to be this childish. Not having Jemima or even one of the trainees around only increases my irritation.

Without saying another word, I pack up my laptop, walk out the door and let it slam behind me. I have more important things to do than explain to a teenager why I do what I do.

BUZZ. A beep from my pocket demands my attention. Jemima.

>>GEM: Sorry for the delay. I found a match, but I can't trace the damn sender. Will try again at the house. About the list - we need to talk.