Chapter 1

Luke Skywalker was lazily sitting on his cot, reading a holobook. His friend, Leia Organa sat with her back straight in a chair across of him, her legs neatly folded underneath her body in an impeccable manner, a datapad set in her lap. A comfortable silence hung between them. They didn't need to say anything; they were simply enjoying the other's soothing presence.

Leia had insisted on keeping Luke company ever since they came back from Bespin a couple of weeks ago. Whatever encounter the youth had with the fearsome Darth Vader had left him badly shaken, constantly nervous and plagued with terrifying nightmares. Fortunatly, for the last few days, they were less and less frequent, as were his panic attacks. Slowly, but surely, Luke was returning to his normal self. However, that normal will be forever scarred.

"All pilots report to hangar bay six! Repeat, all pilots report to hangar bay six!"

Luke let out a groan and reluctantly straightened up. A short while ago, Mon Mothma got the report from the scouting team sent on the Outer-Rim planet of Lah'mu that the planet is propitious for the construction of a new base. He guessed they needed some reinforcements.

"Are you sure you want to go?" Leia asked him, her large brown eyes filled with concern. "If you still don't feel well, you–"

"I'm fine, Leia", Luke interrupted her, a smile tugging on his lips. "I really am. I'm more than ready to fly again."

Leia didn't like the sound of that at all. Only a week ago Luke had repeated of the umpteenth time that he'll never set a foot again in his "blasted" X-Wing. But she couldn't crush his ambitions just yet. Returning a strained smile, she nodded.

"Whatever you say, Luke", she said. "Good luck!"

Luke grinned.

"May the Force be with you", he replied.

****

The proud members of the Rogue Squadron were all set by the time Luke ran into the hangar bay. As they spotted their commander, the pilots all erupted into loud cheers and applause.

"Luke!" Wedge Antilles exclaimed, patting him on the back. "Welcome back!"

"We missed you!" added Rogue Seven.

Luke's already large smile widened and made a mock bow.

"What's going on?" he asked when everyone calmed down. "Why did they call us in?"

All trace of smiles instantly vanished from the squadron's faces.

"Some Imperials have spotted the scouting team on Lah'mu and launched an attack", Wedge explained. "Another Star Destroyer came out of hyperspace shortly after, along with two other squadrons of TIE fighters. Our troops and pilots already present there are now overwhelmed. We are the reinforcement they called for."

Skywalker nodded. So he was right, they did call for reinforcements, but not for the same reasons as he thought.

"Alright!" Luke proclaimed after a second of contemplation. "Let's show those Imps what we Rebels are made of! Are you ready to fight?"

Rogue Squadron's roar of approval echoed throughout the hangar. The pilots scattered around, every single one of them running to their respective X-Wings.

Luke powered up the engines, adrenaline wildly coursing through his veins. He had never truly realized how he had missed flying. In the droid socket, R2-D2 beeped excitedly, informing Luke the fighter is ready for take-off. The youth smiled and, followed by the rest of his squadron, lifted the X-Wing off the ground and easily maneuvered it through the hangar and out in the dark vacuum of space. Beneath them, the bright blue and red orb of Sullust shone lustrously, the radiating sunlight brightly illuminating the stationed Rebel Star Cruisers and smaller ships.