Chapter 8c

Our eyes followed her as she departed, then we were left in awkward silence. The room was now bare except for a row of bedrolls, a bucket of water, and the bed by the entrance. And the two of us, still fidgeting silently. I scooted to the bed and perched on the edge. How did we get to this point? There never used to be this awkwardness between us. We had been as close as sisters could be, and now...

It was probably my fault. One flare-up too many. I guess she finally had to admit to herself that I had a demon inside, clawing its way out. Better to separate herself from that before it consumed her too.

Our eyes met, and she looked as unsure as I felt. I decided to start first. "Siena, I know I scared everyone. I almost roasted Dozan out of sheer embarrassment. Who knows what I'll do next? I understand your doubts about me, because I share them. I can't be trusted." My eyes fell to the floor and I shook my head. "You can't trust monsters."

"Oh, Sember." She approached and sat beside me. "You couldn't be more wrong."

I threw my hands in the air. "Of course I'm wrong. All I ever am is wrong."

She pursed her lips. "Self-pity doesn't suit you."

I sighed and flicked my index finger out in front of me so it pointed straight up, watching the small orange flame dancing on my fingertip. So beautiful. So deadly.

Siena's eyes were drawn to the flame. "Sember, making mistakes doesn't make you a monster, it makes you human. We're all fallible. It's just, as Gifted, our mistakes can sometimes have bigger consequences. And we have to learn to be okay with that."

"Easy for you to say. Your mistakes don't result in fiery devastation."

"Maybe not, but I've felt like I've had a monster inside me before." She looked down at her hands. "It scared me."

I stared at her in disbelief and snuffed the flame on my finger. "I don't believe that."

She looked away and began to play with the hem of her shirt. "I told you about Borga."

"Right, but he was the monster. I may have only been six then, but I think I can tell the difference between good and evil. Mass healings, good. Mass killings, evil. You weren't the one trying to eradicate all the Gifted."

"I drained him because I couldn't stop myself."

I paused. "What? I don't remember that."

"I got so furious, I took his energy until there was none left. I drained it and took his life. I didn't want to stop. I..." Siena's soft voice petered out. "It was like a creature I didn't recognize had taken over. I did it out of sheer anger, not because it was right or wrong."

That shut me up. I couldn't picture Siena furious, much less murderous.

"I do know about monsters lurking inside," she continued. "I was a mess after that. You may have more frequent accidents, but you've never actually killed anyone."

I thought about my parents. "I would have, if you hadn't saved them."

She immediately knew whom I meant by them. "You were six," she said dryly. "Cut yourself some slack."

"I feel like we've had this conversation before."

"Maybe so, but it's because I'm still trying to convince you that you're not alone."

"Then why are you pushing me away?" The words flew out of me. There, I said it. I sounded a little whiny, but at least it was out there now.

Her eyes widened, stricken. "Why would you think that?"

"You told me to find new friends. And then something about a pedestal. Basically, you didn't want me looking for you anymore." To my horror, a single tear slid down my cheek, and I swiped it away, hoping no more would follow. I was supposed to be strong.

"What? Sember, no." Her face was awash with tenderness, and she gathered my hands into hers. "You can't believe that. I said those things because I can't always be here for you, as much as I'd like to. I worry about you when I'm not here."

"Because I'm so dangerous?" I said, hating the dejection in my voice.

She gave my hands a rough shake, and I met her gaze. "You have a brother and two parents who love you, and you get to see them every day. I have a half-brother I rarely see, and I wonder if he even likes me, much less loves me. If I worry about you, it's because I feel like you are my true family. I don't know what I'd do if something were to happen to you. That's why I don't want you to go, even though it seems like it's our only choice. And if I want you to have other friends, it's because I don't want you to be lonely when I'm not here."

I had no words. Emotions welled up and warred within me. Annoyance at myself for making so many wrong assumptions. Relief that Siena was still my sister. But most of all, love for this woman who had redirected the course of my life so profoundly, it was impossible for me to imagine her not being in it.

I wrapped my arms around her neck and squeezed as if I could press my feelings into her, so I wouldn't have to use words. Did she know how much she meant to me? Did she know how instrumental she was in helping me control my gift? Did she know how much I loved her? Tears fell freely now, but I didn't care. My world had righted itself once more.

Aww the world is right again. Go Sember! And go vote! :D