Epilogue

Confused, I looked at Georgie over my phone, which she had handed to me.

"So... how did you guys find enough proof to get the police over to Mrs. Doyle's house?"

Georgie replied simply, "Your phone, Luna. When you came in yesterday, you had your phone set on record. We had all of it on tape."

Of course! My phone had been recording the whole thing!
"Oh yeah! I remember now!"

Georgie suddenly became more serious. "I'm sorry I got mad at you for getting me into this. It actually was a pretty fun ride. I think it turned out to be an adventure that I'll never forget."

She smiled, but I looked down. "Yeah, but it was also dangerous. I'm sorry, too, for making you help me."

"What are you talking about? That's what best friends are for." Georgie smiled.

I walked towards the hallway so I could go outside, and Georgie asked, "Hey Luna, where are you going?"

"I'm off to the park. I want to go for a walk."

"I'll come with you. I need some fresh air."

"Sure! Come on."

⭐⭐⭐

When Georgie and I came back from our walk, the sun was already setting. It cast an orange glow on the wispy white clouds hanging over the horizon.

I opened the door and walked in, Georgie trailing behind me.

"Mom!" I yelled. "We're home!"

There was no answer, so I assumed she was in the shower. I told Georgie to wait in the living room while I let my mom know we were home.

I came up the stairs and opened the closed bathroom door, but then I was shocked at the sight that awaited me.

There was blood nearly covering all the walls and splattered everywhere. I walked slowly over to the shower and pulled back the bloodstained curtain. Just as I had dreaded, my mother's body lay in the tub with a stab wound through her chest and a pool of watery blood surrounding her.

On the sink I spotted a letter and went to tear it open. It was a very short note. It only said:

It's not over.

I gasped. The letter was signed...

Doyle