Chapter 1 ~ The Announcement ~ April's POV

Everything we had done for years, and years, and years was leading up to this moment. It could possibly decide the fate of humanity. I was unanimously elected to be the face of our organization 5 years ago, and so I would be the one to appear on television and before the crowds of handpicked spectators. Yet here I was, in the gym like any other day, beating up a specially designed and bright orange punching bag.

Ryan picked that time to video call me. As soon as the song started blasting out of my phone, I grabbed a towel and tried my best to look even halfway decent. He was my boss, after all.

Answering it was a big mistake. "WHERE ARE YOU?!" Shrieked Ryan immediately. "ARE YOU AT THAT STUPID GYM AGAIN?! I TOLD YOU TO BE HERE HALF AN HOUR AGO!" I glanced at the time. He was right. Oops.

"Sorry, Ryan. I'll be right there." I said, cutting him off. Then, I ended the call, just as he began to give me another lecture about time management. Like he was my dad. What he didn't seem to get was that after today, if Plan A worked, I'd be leaving this ghost town and accepting a job writing for a newspaper in New York.

Not that it was a ghost town today. In fact, even as I washed the sweat and grime off my skin, I could hear the roars of the crowd that my team was probably having a hard time entertaining. Oops again.

As I dried my hair, I couldn't help but think about the fact that next week we would be launching the first manned spacecraft in 300 years. But, as we were constantly reminded, now was a time to be worrying about who would be on it. That's where I come in.

And so I was off, to the press room, then the Big Room (basically an auditorium for 1000+ people) where I would be announcing the fate of 20 people in there. And how they would decide the fate of the rest of humanity.

~~~

"After 30 years of researching and planning and building by the world's best scientific minds, we are proud to reveal the Cydonia!"

As I gestured behind me, the glittery navy curtain, which had been made to look like the stars, fell away to reveal a giant screen showing live feed from the launch site of the Cydonia. Supply and utility cars and truck buzzed around like ants cowering in the spaceship's might. It was beautiful.

As a hushed silence spread across the crowd as they soaked it in. It was a massive, 487 foot monstrosity that was a shining silver color. It was a beacon of hope and progress and everyone who belonged to the program NNASA (New National Aeronautics and Space Administration since NASA went bankrupt) was extremely proud of. And 20 of these idiots were going to run it.

"Now to meet the lucky 20 astronauts who'll be spending the rest of their lives in a floating paradise, paving the way for the next chapter of humanity's existence!"

The entire crowd was on the edge of their seats, eager for this next announcement. I had done my job well.

"Look around you!"

Confusion rippled through the crowd. I could understand why. When I had been given the idea for who was to be sent to space, I couldn't believe it. It was idiocy. Ridiculous. Out of my control. But, in a way, it did make sense. We had to make sure that we were sending the best possible people for the multi-generation trip.

"We need volunteers! Everyone in this crowd has been approved to, with some tweaking of various physical traits and such, be part of the 20-person crew of the ship!"

I could see some angry faces now. This might not work.

"A one way trip to the next chapter of humanity's progress. And escape from this dismal place we will be forced to live with for several generations regardless. A chance to be a hero for humanity!"

Shiny, sugarcoated words. But they were met by silence.

I completely understand, of course. It wasn't easy to write a speech that sounded even remotely persuasive. I don't know anyone who would be able to give up theirs, their children's, and their children's children's futures just for the interest of science. It was time for Plan B.

"Alright, then, a contest! To see which of you wins this trip! Everyone here has already been entered and the whole world will be watching...follow me into this room to find out what you have to do to qualify!"

A fake smile was still plastered on my face as I lead the room of angry people towards their fate. This would be less than fun. Especially since I would be on that ship no matter what.