Part 1: The Problem With Delicate Ankles

Hey guys! This is the first part of this short fanfic. Hope y'all like it. Don't forget to vote and comment!

(Alert: Inside joke present)

Mornings in the Overwatch base have a certain routine. It was one of those unspoken rule things in where the people just know the ins and outs. Rookies and new recruits were known to struggle at first, but with a bit of time and getting used to, the novices meshed in with the ways and schedule precisely as those of the renowned agents and veterans.

From afar, the sharp luster of polished steel signified the presence of a certain cyborg whom you have grown a fondness for, and you didn't even have to look at the bright neon green lights to know it was him.

"Hey Genji," you greeted, carrying your breakfast tray over to the table where he, Mercy, McCree, and Zenyatta sat at.

"Hello, (Y/N)," the ninja addressed, mirroring the same energy as yours. If that mask came undone that very moment, you would have found bright amber eyes and a scarred lip pulled up into a smile.

You took your usual spot, sandwiched between Genji and McCree, before eyeing the small group you've long been a part of. Something inside you couldn't shrug the gnawing feeling that settled on your gut, and it became evident to the others that you were at unease.

"What is the matter, (Y/N)?" Mercy asked the question that's been swirling around everybody's mind.

"Um...I feel like this table is missing something," you muttered, piercing your scrambled eggs absentmindedly with the pointed tips of your fork.

Your inattentive stupor didn't go right over Genji's head. "My brother couldn't join us today. He said something about not feeling too well."

Hanzo. So he's Mr. I'm-gonna-skip-breakfast.

"Oh," was all you managed to utter out at first. "Is it serious, you know, his condition?"

"A headache at most, but you know better than to worry (Y/N): He's Hanzo- he can handle whatever comes his way."

"I suppose you're right Genji." You bit at your lip lightly. "I just hope he gets better soon; it's unlike him to skip out on the most important meal of the day because of some headache."

"Don't think too much of it, darlin'," McCree chimed in with a spoonful of cereal halfway to his mouth. "Have ya seen the guy out there on missions? It would take a battalion to even cripple him!"

Zenyatta flashed his index finger out to make an emphasis on his point. "As I recall it, it was three battalions."

You couldn't help smiling at the positive and playful vibes everybody let off. However, as infectious as it was, your suspicions on the marksman still retained itself in a small crevice at the back of your mind, and you blushed in embarrassment at the fact that it took you three minutes to figure out that it was Hanzo missing.

Some friend you are.

However, you tried telling yourself it wasn't entirely your fault. The guy barely talks, eating his food away in peace as he always does in every meal. The noisiest he has ever gotten was slurping a bowl of ramen last Tuesday, and even that seemed like a squeak compared to Zenyatta's occasional sighs of content.

Indeed he was a secretive man, always wanting to keep the tiniest of personal details from others. You never knew the reason why it was such of importance to him; he manages to walk away once meddlesome questions come his way.

Shame--you really wanted to know more about him the first time you laid eyes on his flowing yellow ponytail of sorts. When he turned, all the blood rushed up to your face and you recalled blaming it on the heat whenever your recruiters would inquire, among of which was Genji, the information later on taking you by surprise.