Anathasios, The Last Vampire: Chapter Two

Anathasios camped near the edge of the mountain warming himself and his steed near the blazing fire. He was less than a days journey from the peak, the moonlight too faint to guide him up the contorted trail. A bellowed nay escaped the beast's muzzle, startling Anathasios in to dropping his meal. The remains of his bread burned next to the charcoal log, the toxic smell wafting through the air. Shall this always be my luck?

He laid against the bundle of clothes behind him, gazing at the galactic array above. Stars twinkled amongst the cloudless sky, the fluorescent disk above emanating celestial grace. It's pallor prompted broken memories, it's gleam equivalent to the mountain lilies he had given Valeria the night of their elopement.

"Anathasios, my love, have you secured the gate?" Her melodious whispers consumed his attention.

"Yes, we may leave at once." Anathasios bowed, causing Valeria to giggle. The pair fled under the cloak of night, traversing the streets of Pompeii with uncanny speed. Once they had reached the base of the mountain Anathasios plucked an assortment of flowers, presenting them before his love.

"For you, my dear. They shine as bright as the summer moon, untamed, transcendent - though nothing in comparison to you." Valeria sighed, grasping the bouquet before her. Fluctuating the flowers between her palms, her eyes avoiding his gaze. A certain spark lay in her eyes, and though he could not place it's origin, it's presence brewed a certain discomfort within him. 

Biting her lip, Valeria spoke, "Are you not Marcus's most venerable soldier, the tenacious, auspicious Anathasios of Rome?"

The sudden change of course puzzled him. "Aye, I may be all that in name, but your beauty surpasses it all. Why ask you this, love?" He placed a light kiss upon her brow, stroking the side of her cheek. "Do you wish to remain his prisoner, living under the reign of a perverse tyrant? Why do you mention such unpleasant things?" Valeria sighed, taking a step away. 

"Because Anathasios, I believe tonight is ill-spent, our wandering about in hope of any pardon. What lies beyond these hills? The sea, the gods, another challenge to conquer? I would travel across every land known to the gods to spend eternity with you. But why risk-"

The memory faded, Anathasios once again interrupted by the horse's call. He rose, patting the creatures side gently.Though it still stirred, the creature laid down, resting it's head against the ground. How is this beast different than I? Is he not pained by the same worldly forces as I? He sighed, nestling next to the creature. One day, brother, we may both be freed. One day, perhaps the absence of love will fade. Closing his eyes, he thought of his love no more.