Chapter 1-Planted

I was left outside the monastery where I grew up when I was little more than a baby, I do not remember what happened as I was too young so I know only what the monks always told me. They said that it created much discord when they discovered me on their doorstep. Whenever I would ask why I had been the one to upset everyone when many babies had been left on their steps over the ages, I was told that it was because I was the first girl child ever to be left with the monastery in all the ages that it has stood. At the time, I didn't understand why it was so wrong for me to be a girl but after years of facing one domineering male after another I realized what they meant. Boys brought honour to their families and their homes by existing. On the other hand, girls could only bring honour to their family and house by marrying a wealthy or powerful man, though preferably both. Even if he was a cruel man twice her age she still had to accept her husband, and bear said man many sons.

As the monks never explained any of this to me I thought that I was equal to the boys I was raised with. It was not a problem until we turned five, the year that they were taken to learn martial arts while I was to remain contentedly weeding my garden until I was of an age suitable for marriage.

When they were excused from most of their duties in order to have more time to train, I tried to follow them but one of the monks saw me trailing shyly behind the boys. He called me to him, I went like I was asked but nearly broke down in tears when he said that I couldn't train with the boys and that I should be a good girl and go back to my vegetable patch. I ran back over to where the boys were but then an instructor barred my way, again telling me that I could not learn martial arts with the boys and that I should go back to my vegetables.

I turned and sullenly walked away, figuring that if the instructors would not teach me, then I would have to teach myself and so I did. It is not my fault that I was such a willful child.

From that day forward every time they went to the training field I would watch them from a thicket nearby, copying their movements as best I could. This continued for about six months, maybe more, maybe less. Details like time, ages and names fade with the years.

The only reason that this did not go on for longer was because of the boy, I do not remember his name, but I will never forget his face. It looked as though he had been smashed in the face with a slab of marble, he had beady black eyes set close together with a large, flat nose between them above thin lips permanently fixed into a sneer. He was the one that ratted me out to the monks.

The monks were so angry with me that I ran and hid. I was only going to hide in my room for a while, but I heard one of the monks say that they would all be better off if they gave me instead to one of the village families. I did not want to go to a family I did not know so I ran and ran, I didn't stop until I was far away from the monastery and I could run no longer. I collapsed beside an ancient cherry tree and that was where stayed I for many seasons. It was barren when I first came upon it but after a few months time, it was in full bloom and soon after that it was filled with delicious cherries. Over the summer that was how I survived, eating cherries and if the occasion called for it, wandering around the local market in hopes that someone would take pity on me. I had just turned six and I was already forced to take care of myself.

Every so often a kind person would give me a crust of bread but more often than not I was rewarded with kicks and shouts for my efforts, a few times I even had to fight my way out of a predicament that I had gotten myself into. I could bite, scratch and hit the person until they tired of me. I would escape to my cherry tree and nurse my bruises, going back to the town again when I was hungry enough. This was the life I lived day in and day out for over a year.