24 | Clocks

Music: Nighthawk, Two Steps From Hell

                     ... When the world was still young and the peoples living in it had yet to divide into four nations, the Avatar Cycle came into existence. A small group of people of all four nations pledged their allegiance to the elemental spirits and promised to support the Avatar every way they could.

In honor of that promise, the elemental spirits gave them a flower, a lotus flower, blessed with powers from the Spirit World, that would strengthen the keepers of the Avatar Cycle. As long as the White Lotus remained unharmed, the Order protecting her would blossom and grow. Through the ages, the Order would expand with members who were both wise and noble and who would carry the message of peace and unity throughout the generations. Modest people, who, with awareness of their own limitations, humbly strived to reach the one thing both the Avatar and the Order of the White Lotus stood for - purity...

                   ...Or so Katara had thought. Until now. Her mouth fell open when the drunk scrambled up from the ground and executed a failed attempt at what looked like the Order's secret bow.

Speechlessly, she watched as Zuko's hand shot out and grabbed the man by the shoulder, harshly forcing him to his knees. At least he'd had the presence of mind to stop the drunk's attempt. His eyes all but shot fire as he bent forward and, through clenched teeth, snarled something at the thief. Fearfully, the shabby man looked up at him and to Katara's horror, the first thing she felt bubbling up after she'd recovered from her shock was laughter.

This man... this thief, was the Order member they had to turn to for help? Her gaze passed over the man who was locked firmly in Zuko's grasp, his whole appearance breathing criminality. The only spot of light in this spirits' forsaken town, the sole representation of the Order of the White Lotus. A thief. And a drunk one at that.

A grin started to spread across her face at the irony of it all, as she looked up. Then her eyes widened in alarm.

The barroom had grown quiet as heads had turned in their direction and she was met with wary, brooding, and suspicious looks. To Katara's horror, they had also drawn the attention of the pirates sitting behind Zuko. One of them had put his head around the the other one and shot a piercing glance at them, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Katara's stomach dropped when she recognized him. It was the barker. The one who had lured her, Aang, and Sokka into the pirate ship back then. Katara drew in a sharp breath when his gaze turned towards her. She ducked her head just before he could meet her eyes.

"Lee," she hissed, keeping her head down as she looked at Zuko through her eyelashes. He gave no response.

"Lee!" Her repeated whisper sounded harsh now, the panic giving a rough edge to her voice.

Zuko finally looked up and registered the eyes fixed on them. He reacted almost instantly. "You're coming with us," he hissed menacingly and hauled the other man up. Making sure that Katara was following him, he dragged the drunk from the barroom.

"Hey!" someone grumbled, but no one interfered. It was a common sight to see someone removed from the barroom like this when scores needed to be settled.

Katara's heart was in her throat and she tried not to look at the gazes following them as she stayed one step behind Zuko. It barely took them a minute to reach the reception but they seemed to take forever, the seconds dragging by as a hostile murmur started to rise around them.

Finally, Zuko threw the thief into the hallway where the man stumbled and fell. The firebender turned to see Katara slip past him and then he hauled up the sad heap of man lying on the floor. He didn't notice when Katara cast a glance over her shoulder before they went up the stairs. What she saw made her blood run cold.