Chapter VII-Scars and Laughter

"Morning, boys." Draco stirred at the sound of Remus' voice. He hadn't realized they'd fallen asleep. "How's the pain, Draco?"

"Improving but still there." Draco opened his eyes and found himself looking at Harry's maroon socks.

"You can take breakfast up here, but don't make it a habit, please." Draco nodded before poking Harry's feet to wake him.

"I'm up. And don't touch m'feet." The dark haired boy was mumbling into the bed. Draco turned back to the door, mouth open to say something, only to find the werewolf had already left.

"Why do you live with Remus and Sirius?" Draco finally got the courage to ask questions while they ate.

"Well, Sirius is my godfather, and both of them were best friends with my parents. Sirius was still young when he got custody of me, so Remus moved in to help him."

"It's odd that you are with a Black and a werewolf, though."

"My parents didn't see it that way. They were all very close. In school, it was Sirius, Remus, my dad and this guy named Peter. They were the Fred and George of their day, inseparable, too. Then, my dad got with my mom and got married after graduation. They had me not too long after. They learned Voldemort was after them and went into hiding. Sirius suggested Peter be the secret keeper, but Peter turned him over to Voldemort. Everyone thought it was Sirius and he went to trial, but Remus helped prove his innocence. I lived with my mom's sister and her family. Sirius fought for custody of me for years. I was 4 when he got me. He was so upset too because he saw the signs." Harry stopped talking but didn't seem upset. More like he'd come to terms with his past.

"The signs?" Draco wasn't sure what his companion meant by that.

"Of how they treated me. I came to him with scars and bruises and my ribs sticking out. They neglected me and smacked me around. Their son used me as a punching bag." Draco could tell Harry was bearing more to him than he did most people. In a touch of luck, the blond asked the only question on his mind.

"Can I see them?" Harry removed his shirt so Draco could see the scars. "How'd you get all these?"

"Some were accidents, and some were from my cousin. I don't remember very well, to be honest." Harry sighed, so Draco dropped it. They continued talking about anything under the sun but what the boys didn't see was Sirius and Remus were looking on, smiles on their faces. They were just happy their son had a friend he trusted so completely.