16 - Silence

With a soft humming noise, Tobias exited the rift that had been created.

Immediately, he noticed that they were on a nearly identical structure to the one they'd just come from. It was in a pit of some kind, one that looked like it had been dug out. His theory was confirmed as he saw floodlights and lamps around the area, shining light onto the site even in darkness. Evidently, someone had discovered this site first.

Just like with the last planet, the gravity seemed to be acting funny. Rocks and bits of sand hovered in mid-air. But the rest of the ground around them wasn't really affected. He surmised that it only had a true effects on items that weren't directly tied down or attached to the ground by something; in this case, it was the planet's crust.

As he looked back, he watched the portal close and deactivate, waiting for further instruction. KT took the time to look around and analyze their new location. "My sensors indicate that the atmosphere here is breathable, but not particularly sufficient in oxygen. I'd recommend not staying out in the open too long."

He could feel it, like he was high in a mountainous region where the air was thin. He sucked in air, but felt little satisfaction. Deciding to rely on his suit's reserve oxygen, he nodded. "Understood. Al'cor, how are you holding up?"

My physical body requires no sustenance or elements. She said it with a expository tone, assuring him that she was fine. So long as I do not come to bodily harm, I will be alright.

That was as good an answer for him as any. Walking over to the activation slab, he placed his hand against it. It quickly went through the cycle of glowing blue, and then rumbling as he knew what it was about to do next. Bracing himself for it this time, he didn't stumble backwards as the massive beam shot out from the core of the planet and into the depths of space above.

Looking up, he was surprised to see the the other beam was visible in the stars as well, coming from a direction that stretched far past the horizon. Normally, he'd assume that the light would have taken a bit longer to reach this point than what it had, but considering that they were working with technology far above the level of humanity, he was willing to ignore the fact. It indeed seemed to be forming a triangular shape, as Al'cor had indicated it should. Once it was active, all of the floating debris came crashing down onto the ground with puffs of dirt rising whenever they landed.

Looking back at where the portal was supposed to open, however, he furrowed his brow at seeing that it remained inactive. Looking back at the slab, he saw new writing below the one saying 'two of three activated'. Translating, he knew that the first one said something along the lines of, 'warning passage obstructed'.

The second one was a bit more confusing; he was pretty sure it said, 'final fate awaits'. What that meant, he had no idea.

"Al'cor? We've got a bit of an issue."

The Architect walked over, towering above Tobias by a good two feet. As she read the transcription, she seemed to seize up.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

The portal cannot open, she explained. There is something blocking its counterpart on the next array world, keeping us from traveling there. We will have to go there manually.

Tobias swore internally. "Well, that's just great." He looked at her. "Can you see if you can access this system, and snag the coordinates for the planet at least?"

She nodded, and set to work. It was fascinating to see her work and maneuver with the holographic symbols that hovered above the slab. After a good minute or so, she gave a mental breath of relief. I have the coordinates.