𝟎𝟎.

[ THIRD PERSON POV ]

[ DARMSTADT, GERMANY ]

A resounding, high-pitched bell echoed throughout the building, signaling the end of the school day. On weekdays, the sound of this bell typically evoked frustration, given the knowledge that students would return the next day. However, there was something different about the Friday bell, generating a collective sense of excitement and relief. Kids eagerly streamed through the doors, anticipating quality time with their families and friends.

Among them, Stella Kaiser, a spirited ten-year-old, stood out. She had just completed the initial days of her fourth year. Hailing from one of the nation's wealthiest families, with her father at the helm of a transport company and her mother serving as a biology professor, Stella was often perceived as spoiled and aloof due to being an only child. Yet, the reality couldn't be further from the assumption. The Kaisers were a family of benevolent, compassionate individuals driven to utilize their wealth for the greater good. This philanthropic ethos profoundly influenced Stella, which is evident in her school interactions.

Yet, her father's benevolent nature stirred discontent among certain circles. A man of considerable power and wealth, he was not inclined to support power-hungry politicians, even in the face of threats to his own life. Advocating for the welfare of all, he clashed with the many misguided individuals who shared the label of 'millionaire.' Among those harboring resentment, HYDRA stood out as a particularly threatened faction, though they kept their animosity discreet, as was their modus operandi. Mr. Kaiser refused to finance their quest for secure and practical transportation, making him a marked target. Much of this remained beyond his awareness, as the majority appeared to be hollow threats...

... Until that fateful Friday. What was meant to be a day of excitement and relaxation turned into the catalyst that shattered the stability of the Kaisers' lives for all eternity.

Stella had gained the privilege of walking home from school alone, a feat achieved after much persuasion with her parents. They eventually granted her full permission, yet from the first school day, she couldn't shake the feeling of being observed by two different men each time. This unease persisted, and two additional figures joined the surveillance on that particular Friday. Her assumption led to the belief that her parents, concerned about her solitary walks, had hired security guards. She couldn't help but wish for less intimidating personnel.

While strolling home, she found solace in admiring the vivid blue sky, reminiscent of her mother's eyes. The only absence was the various green spots scattered amid the blue canvas. Her mother's unique eye color, often overlooked by others, held exceptional beauty in Stella's eyes. Everything was distinct and beautiful to her—the varied colors of leaves, the diversity in everyone's skin, the secrets within each pair of eyes, and the impossibility of identical fingerprints. Her attempts to share these beautiful stories and ideas with classmates were met with ridicule. "That's pointless, you Esel (donkey)," they would scoff, questioning the practicality in the real world. She would smile and brush off their remarks, yet deep down, she felt alienated. The notion of the 'real world' intrigued her, and she longed to unravel its mysteries.

On that idyllic Friday afternoon, after a fifteen-minute walk, she found herself just a block away from home. Clutching the necklace her mother had bestowed upon her in infancy, she held it for comfort. Inside the pendant, a photo captured her, her mother, and her father, accompanied by a simple yet profound engraving, "Never forget who you are." Though seemingly generic, this statement held immense significance for their family, set apart in a city where conformity was the norm. The Kaisers embraced their uniqueness in a place where everyone strived to be alike. Despite feeling the societal pressure to conform to her peers, Stella resisted the urge to blend in. The desire to be accepted, invited to sleepovers, and make friends tempted her to conform, yet she remained resolute. She understood that compromising her true self for the approval of others wasn't worth it. The essence of who she was held far greater value than the fleeting acceptance of those who sought conformity.

In the distance, the entrance gate to her home came into view, and a surge of excitement coursed through her. However, as she neared the gate, a heavy hand landed on her shoulder, disrupting her joy. "Are you Stella Kaiser?" The man's German accent mirrored everyone else's, but an unexplained sense of dread emanated from him. She turned slowly to find four men clad in black clothing and sunglasses, their expressions void of emotion, crowding around her. Overwhelmed by fear, all she could manage was an honest nod. She intended to mention her mother waiting inside. Still, before she could utter a word, the men forcefully threw her backpack to the ground and ushered her into their imposing black vehicle.

That evening, as Stella's parents were preparing to file an AMBER Alert for her, they too fell victim to the assailants, and their home was left deserted and ravaged. The once vibrant atmosphere of positivity that the Kaisers had fostered in Darmstadt dissipated, casting a shadow of fear over many nearby affluent families. The brutal attack on the Kaisers, despite their apparent happiness, instilled a sense of vulnerability in the community.

When Stella's classmates returned to school on Monday, the absence of her presence was keenly felt. Regret filled their hearts as they realized the dull void left in her wake. They wished they had engaged with her, offered to walk her home after school, or listened to her instead of ridiculing her. Now, the brightest light in Darmstadt had vanished, leaving a lasting void.