𝟎𝟒.

I awoke to yet another morning within the confines of the Avengers Tower

I awoke to yet another morning within the confines of the Avengers Tower. Adjusting the cuff on my wrist, its persistent glow caught my attention as I surveyed my surroundings. Despite the familiar room, there was no indication that my departure was imminent, although today seemed poised to be the day. I had already exceeded my initially planned stay, and a sense of unease settled in my stomach as I mentally braced myself for the unavoidable.

Rising from my bed, I skeptically began the routine of shedding my pajamas, recognizing the importance of presenting myself well on what could potentially be my final day with the Avengers.

As I prepared to step out for the day, my gaze shifted toward the bedside table, where I habitually kept my necklace while I slept. To my surprise, the table held nothing but a brief note: "Come to the lab when you're awake. -- T.S." A small bird sketch adorned the bottom, its lack of originality evident.

With a growing pit in my stomach, I went to the lab. The anticipation heightened with each step, and I couldn't shake the feeling that Stark was about to inform me of a new residence. Despite not feeling entitled to sadness, I acknowledged the Avengers' generosity in providing temporary refuge. Having overstayed the promised two days, I hoped for a chance to bid farewell to everyone before my departure.

Upon entering the lab, my eyes fell upon Bruce slumbering in a rolling chair, while Stark, in a fit of laughter, seemed poised to give him a push.

"Mr. Stark?" I announced my presence.

"Shit!" he hissed, a subtle jolt revealing his surprise at my silent entrance. "You got my note, I assume?" He swiftly regained his composure.

"I did," I replied with a yawn. "Did you take my necklace?"

"I fixed it," he stated matter-of-factly.

"What?"

"You'd be surprised at how easy it was."

"Really?" I widened my eyes.

He raised my necklace. "See? Good as new."

My eyes sparkled with emotion as I beheld my restored necklace, which appeared nearly identical to its state twelve years prior. The family crest adorned both the front and back, its intricate design highlighted by the sleek black sheen of the metal. As Stark opened it, tears stung my eyes—the button was no more. In its place, an old photograph of my family and I now resided a poignant replacement. Though not the original picture my parents had chosen, it held immense significance, providing a cherished visual connection to them once more.

The photograph captured a moment from my eight-year-old self at the zoo with my parents. Perched on my dad's shoulders, I laughed while playfully attempting to cover his eyes. My mom stood beside us, holding onto my father's arm, their laughter frozen in time, their unique, crooked smiles vividly preserved. It was a stark reminder of the infectious joy that defined their happiness, a sentiment whose absence I hadn't fully realized until that moment. Beneath the photo, the engraving "Never forget who you are" echoed a consistent thread of my past, untouched by time. Tony seemed to have recognized its significance, leaving it unchanged. Glancing at him in astonishment, I fought to hold back tears, hoping none would betray my overwhelming emotions.