Chapter 1: The Outsider

The setting sun was staining the far reaches of the plain, it's hue was closer to blood than orange. The wind snarled like a beast across the barren sky. On the narrow road that cut through a sea of grass, high enough to hide a man's legs, the lobe horse and rider ceased their advance as if forestalled by the wall of wind gusting straight at them.

The road rose a bit some sixty feet ahead. Once they'd reach that point, they would be able to survey the rows of houses and sections of farmlands that compromised Sitka, just another district in the Frontier sector.

At the foot of that gentle slope stood a girl.

The horse had likely been startled by her appearance and stopped. She was a beautiful young woman, with large brown eyes that seemed a light. Somewhat tanned, she had her black hair tied back. An untamed aura, unique to all things living in the wild, emanated from every inch of her. Any man who laid eyes on her, with her gorgeous looks would undoubtedly draw his attention to her. She was concealed to the ankles by an ash - gray material of a waterproof cape. Except perhaps for her snug leather sandals and what seems to be a coiled black whip in her right hand, she wore no necklace or any form of jewelry that would give her a feminine look.

 Except perhaps for her snug leather sandals and what seems to be a coiled black whip in her right hand, she wore no necklace or any form of jewelry that would give her a feminine look

An old-fashioned cyborg horse lingered at the girls side. Until a few minutes earlier, the girl had been lying at its feet. Woman of the wild or not, the fact that she noticed a horse and rider, not running but approaching silently admit the kind of howling wind that would leave others covering their ears, and that she stood her ground meant the girl probably wasn't some farmers wife or a daughter of a pioneer.

Having stopped briefly, the horse soon began walking forward. Perhaps realizing the girl wasn't going to get out of the road, it stopped again some twenty feet shy of her.

For a while there was nothing but the sound of the wind racing along the ground. In due time the girl opened her mouth to speak. "I take it you're a drifter. You a hunter?" Her tone was defiant and full of daring, and yet also a touch of warmth.

The rider sat on his horse but made no answer. She couldn't see his face very well because he had a wide brimmed traveller's hat low over his eyes and was covered from the nose down by a scarf. Judging from his powerful frame and the combat belt, half revealed from his faded black long coat, it was safe to say he was no seasonal laborer or merchant dealing with scattered villages. A red pendant hanging just below his scarf reflected the girls shocked expression. Her large eyes fixed on the long sword strapped to his back. Having a elegant arc quite different from the other blades used by many other hunters, it spoke of the vast expanse of time and space it's owner had traveled. Surprised by the lack of response, the girl shouted. "That sword for show? If so, I'll take it off you to sell down at the next open market. Set er down!"

As if to say that didn't get an answer out of him then the time for talking is done, the girl took one step back with her right leg and crouched in preparation. The hand with the whip slowly rose to her side.