Chapter Nine - Brayden

Hey guys!!! I'm trying a new style in this chapter, so tell me what you think!

I don't own POTO.

Brayden's POV

I closed the door behind me coming from the men's restrooms. They were located in the very back of the opera house. Since it's such an old building, they are newer than everything else. I started to make my way through the dimly lit hallways, which would eventually lead me to the stage and the Primadonna dressing room which was where I was headed first.

Once I'd reached the Primadonna dressing room I glanced around to be sure nobody would see me enter. Once I'd finished my business in the room, I slipped out as quietly as I'd slipped in. I hadn't walked far when I heard rushed footsteps behind me and I sighed heavily.

"Hey Brayden!" A high happy voice come from behind me. To my dismay, I recognized it immediately.

"My name," I said stopping in my tracks and turning slightly to face her, "Is Roul De Changey. And I wish for you to address me as such."

"Oh..." she stuttered. I could see her searching for words as she began to twist her hands. "I'm sorry Br-- R- Roul... I didn't realize you preferred stage names..."

"Yes, I do." I said emotionless and turned to continue on. However, she followed me. Her long golden curls bouncing along behind her.

"So, Roul, what were you doing in the Primadonna dressing room?" Her question was innocent but I could not have anybody know where I'd been.

"It is none of your concern, Meg. Now I wish for you not to speak of it."

"Oh, you can call me Jewel. I much prefer it to Meg. Don't you?"

"I think 'Meg' suits you just fine." That sounded a lot colder than I mean for it to, and I could see some of the happiness in her eyes fade. Oh well, anything to get her off my case.

See, she's been following me around and will not take the hint that I don't enjoy it. And how dare she call me Brayden? I am Roul! I have to be... Summer could never love Brayden, but perhaps Christine could truly choose Roul... all I have to do is become Roul and she will see she loves me. I've never done a thing to hurt her. Oh, my Christine...

We reached the stage several minutes before rehearsal. I began to glide across the stage, knowing exactly where Ethan and Summer would walk during their last song of the day. Music of the Night. Nobody noticed me dropping my powder on her "bed," on stage.

-----------

Narrator's POV

"And scene!" The managers called. Everybody returned to the backstage area, all except Summer. She lay there motionless.

"Christine dear, you may go back stage now!" Lack of movement from their star started a small panic that if not taken care of would turn to a large disaster. Oh, why must actors be so very dramatic?

"Christine?" The managers called again. Ethan turned around to face her on the ground and his face fell immediately. He was by her side again in moments immediately checking her pulse.

"Alive..." he whispered to himself. His own heart began to beat furiously. Had he not just laid her here? Had he caused this? Why wasn't she waking up? What happened? He hadn't left her for more than a few seconds! Would she be alright? All these thoughts raced through his head within a second, and soon Madame Giry was by their side.

"Esan, you are needed for notes. Zee managers -ave deecided to continue wis zee acts we do not need Christine for." She said in her thick French accent, which most people found ironic since this was just for a stage production.

The fact that she had called him 'Ethan' rather than 'Erik' or 'Phantom' was strange to him, but he didn't dwell on it. He wished to argue with her, he wished to take Summer back to the dressing room and be there when she woke up...if she woke up...but something in her eyes warned him not to argue.
In the moment after, Madame Giry was on her feet again and barking out orders which did not fall on Ethan's ears. In the next second, there was someone else next to Summer who began to lift her seemingly lifeless body off the ground. Ethan immediately made eye contact with the intruder realizing who it was.

Roul... maybe he had been in character for too long, but Ethan felt his entire being overcome with jealousy and anger. He caught himself in his thoughts and realized he was not thinking of Brayden but of Roul. Why were the lines between character and person becoming so blurred?

Brayden held Summer, or might I say, Roul held Christine close to his body, carrying her from the stage. On his way to the dressing room he met Meg once again...

----------

Brayden's POV

Upon seeing Meg, I faltered for a moment. Why was she back here? Again, no less? Does this woman not stop?! Her pestering had been becoming far more frequent and more frustrating. Christine is my life... this may be the one opportunity I have to show her how I am willing to care for her... I didn't put that sleeping powder all over the stage just to show everyone else that I cared for her.

Meg needed to leave, so that I could begin caring for Summer. She may never love me as Brayden, but as Roul? She had to at least act like she did. Maybe, just maybe, I could convince her to love me. Not that there aren't plenty of other women who would be more than happy to be with me, Meg for example, but Summer? She was the girl I'd wished to be with, since we were kids. Unfortunately, Ethan was capable of offering the same argument, perhaps not as genuinely though.

"Roul!" Meg called out to me. I did not acknowledge her at first. I wasn't really sure how I wanted to play my cards yet. If she would just leave, everything would be fine! Why must she be so insufferably persistent?!

"Roul!" She said again, reminding me of her presence.

"Rou--"

"What do you want Meg?!" My voice came out stronger and more commanding than if meant for it but I suppose I was for the better.

She hesitated drawing into herself for a moment before speaking barely above a whisper, "I-- is Christine going to be alright?" She finally said. I could see her eyes were beginning to water and her chin began to quiver. My bride outburst surely did not injure her so badly? That's another thing I loved about Summer. She was a lot stronger than most girls I knew.

"She'll be fine Meg. Now leave me to care for her."

With that, she turned and walked away. Tears rolling down her cheeks.

------------------
Thoughts, comments. 😁

- Christine-1990 🥀