Chapter One

I wanted to get back into some more serious writing, with more developed storylines and characters and such. So, there will be quite a lot of background and exposition for the first few chapters before we get to the actual storyline. Bear with me, hopefully it'll be worth your time.

~~~

'Duck!'

A harsh wind blew above your head once you crouched, narrowly avoiding the colossal fist aimed at where it used to be.

'Roll underneath! Now...kick!'

You swiftly maneuvered your body beneath the hulking metal mass that was the training robot programmed to attack. Once stable, you pushed your lower body clear off the ground in a similar fashion to a handstand, using the momentum to kick the back of the android. You instinctively used it as a launching pad to flip yourself right side up and to your feet once more. Wasting no time, you turned back around, fists by your chest as you stood in a fighting stance.

The gears in the machine's joints clicked and locked noisily as it stood back up with a blinding speed that didn't match its appearance. Most soldiers would have ran for their mothers at the sight of two tons of metal rushing at them with intent to kill, but you weren't like most soldiers.

Your half-lidded eyes regarded the robot in boredom as you sprinted towards it, face as impassive as it normally was. This machine was no threat to you, and you had fought, defeated, and destroyed so many of its kind that your teammates were beginning to grow annoyed with you. Now, mind cleared and body tense, you jumped high into the air, delivering a swift roundhouse kick to the robot's head, severing it from its body as it rocketed to the other side of the training room. It smashed against the wall with such force that it exploded into pieces on contact, though the Zyre-infused titanium walls of the room remained just fine.

You landed gracefully on your feet, eyes locked on the sparking wires protruding from the android's neck. The massive being fell forward not moments later in a heap of its own nuts and bolts. Ah...there goes your next paycheck.

Slow clapping was heard behind you, the footsteps of the individual closing in leisurely as your eyes remained locked on your last kill. You let out a deep breath, finally relaxing your muscles, when they placed a hand on your shoulder, turning your body around. You looked up, neck craned almost uncomfortably as you took in the familiar sight of one of your dearest friends.

Loria Chestuss, your second in command, but first and foremost, a friend who followed you and supported you through your grueling days in The Iyzeran. From when you first signed up at age twelve, to when you both graduated with high ranking honors at age eighteen, and even now as she stood before you, she had been there through it all. You couldn't have survived the military training without her, and although you rarely mentioned it, she is one of the few people who you fully trusted. Also, one of the few that could get a genuine reaction out of you...

You flashed her a ghost of a smile as you took her in. Her three eyes were gazing back at you fondly, light blue irises sweeping your body for cuts or bruises as per usual. Her bubblegum pink skin attracted many suitors for its soft, smooth appearance, something she grew tired of rather quickly. Although, her skin was also extremely vital to her species' survival since the Laxelites lacked ears, so they used their extremely sensitive skin to detect vibrations in the air in place of actual sound. She had a habit of running her hands through her short light blue hair when lost in thought, and it sometimes took two or three of you to break her out of these spells. She stood at a massive six feet seven inches tall, the tallest out of your team. She also liked to mother all of you, offering advice that was appreciated though often unnecessary.

"There see," a calloused, pink hand smacked you lightly on the forehead, "you have a cut across your cheek."

You brought a hand up to your right cheek, immediately feeling a liquid stick to your fingers. Bringing the hand out, you were able to confirm that the red substance was indeed your blood. Your face continued to remain perpetually blank as you rubbed your bloody fingers together in thought, a slight frown now adorning your features. "It's fine. I'll head to the medical bay later and have Bosto look at it." Your head snapped back up almost unnaturally fast, [e/c] eyes peering up at Loria in suspicion. "Anyways... What are you doing here? Did something happen? You're not one to break the rules and enter the room when you know I'm sparring."