Chapter 1

"Look daddy!"

Felix looked over at his five year old, browned haired daughter. She held up a paper with a crooked drawing of two persons; him and her.

"Wow Sapphire," Felix said to her sounding amazed. "That's a really good drawing. You should tape it to my board for everyone to enjoy your wonderful drawing."

Sapphires smile beamed as she received a piece of tape from her dad and she ran upstairs to tape the drawing. She soon ran back down saying, "I'm going to go to the neighbor's house, okay?"

"Okay" Said Felix. "Make sure you use your manners."

"Roger!" Sapphire saluted and ran out of the living room, out the front door. Felix looked at a picture sitting on the top of the T.V. It was an image of his wife, who was in the hospital due to some sort of mysterious sickness.

"Oh Karen," Felix murmured. "Our little girl is so happy. Nothing would get her down. If only I had her happiness." The front door opened and Sapphire poked her head into the living room.

"Forgot my shoes!" She busted out laughing, and she sat on the floor slipping on her shoes.

Sapphire walked back outside to the neighbor's house. She walked up to the door and knocked. A pretty teenaged girl answered the door.

"Hi Sapphire, are you here to play with Morgan?"

Sapphire nodded.

"I'm sorry you can't play right now, everyone's going to leave soon to a church picnic."

Sapphire's smile faded.

"But I think if you ask your dad nicely, you can come with us."

"Yah! I'll go ask dad." She ran off back to her house.

The teen went back inside and went to the kitchen where her family was preparing food.

"Was that Sapphire?" her mom asked.

"Uh-huh, and I invited her to come to the picnic."

"Are you sure that was a good idea, Ashlyn? You know her dad is going through a hard time right now," the mom reasoned while stuffing juice boxes in a cooler full of ice-water.

"Of course it was a good idea. She didn't have much to do any way." Ashlyn said."Besides, she looks so cute when she eats."

"I know, right?" Replied Sara, Ashlyn's fifteen year old sister. "She looks like a little chipmunk."

"Girls are weird." Said Max, her ten year old brother. He stuck his tongue out at his two sisters, just as someone knocked at the front door. The mom left to go answer it. There was a guy with spiky dark blond hair who had emerald green eyes.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Anderson." Felix said when she greeted him. "I didn't mean for Sapphire to intrude on your business."

"Oh, no! It's perfectly fine. We love having her around. She has my permission to go to the church picnic if you let her."

Felix gazed down at Sapphire who looked up at him with pleading brown eyes.

He smiled and said "What are you waiting for? Hurry and get ready to go!"

She smiled and took off running to the house with her dad right behind her.