Chp 18: New Home, New Life

3rd Person POV

Ashley—or Ebony—wandered the country for what seemed like a year but it had barely a week. He spent the next few days hitching rides with random strangers and keeping to the shadows to prevent himself from being discovered. He had been very wary of anyone who would recognise him since his previous encounter with the police.

Ebony kept to his initial route of going south for whatever reason he had and made sure he was as far away from Minnesota as possible. He kept the pocket knife he got from his kidnappers close so as to protect himself from any danger when hitchhiking. So far, he had encountered no more creeps and possible murderers, much to his relief.

Ebony soon found himself in Marrero, New Orleans the following week and was almost losing hope until...

Ebony's POV

I walked, I rode, I ran. I didn't know how long I repeated this but it became a routine for the next few days—or weeks; I wasn't counting anymore. Almost all the money I had stashed over those years had been used up for at least two meals per day. Some days I didn't eat and some days I only ate breakfast. I bought a bottle of water that I always refilled whenever I got the chance. All I could do was quench my thirst but it was not enough to sustain my energy. I slept a lot during that time to replenish it. Without frequent meals, I began to look like when I had depression again. It wasn't good, I know, but what else could I do?

I was aimlessly wandering around the country when I reached another city. I didn't know what state I was in but it was quite far from Minnesota already. That was when I began to stop moving around. I've finally done what I wanted to do all this while: get far away enough from my past. I trudged on until I was outside some building and fell to my knees. Fortunately, there wasn't anyone at all near me so I decided to rest in the meantime.

•••••••••••••

I awoke to someone tugging on my hand gently. I looked up and saw a woman trying to get me to stand up. I reached for my bag and stood up slowly. I rubbed my eyes before looking at her again. She was clad in a simple floral print dress with matching shoes. She had on a necklace with a cross on it. She gently tugged my hand again, motioning me to follow her. She brought me over to a car, which had someone else inside. She opened the door for me before entering the vehicle herself. I wasn't sure what was happening but it was probably for the best if I shut my mouth.

Suddenly, the woman spoke, "What's a poor child like you doing out there?"

I shrugged in response; I get this question too many times and I was too tired to answer them anymore. I said only one word: "Runaway."

The woman looked back at me with pitiful eyes, like any other person who heard me say it. She leaned towards the driver and spoke in a hushed voice, probably discussing what to do with me. The driver nodded and adjusted the mirror to look at me properly. I could also see myself: my hair was a mass of black greasy tangles, my skin was as pale as snow, and my eyes weren't as bright as they had always been. I sank back into the chair.

I look like shit...why do I do things to myself, I thought.

"You should go ahead and sleep. We'll be on the road for a while," the driver broke the silence. I nodded my head weakly and closed my eyes, hugging my bag for warmth.

••••••••••••

I woke up when the car stopped. I looked out the window. We stopped at a building which resembled a flat of some sort. She opened the door and told me to get out. She led me into the building where I was greeted with a shocking sight.