Chapter 5

The group arrived at the river in no time only to see it mostly melted as ice chunks floated down stream.

"We need to cross, now," Peter said.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked.

"I'm not that fast, dear," Mr Beaver said.

"Come on," Alex said, starting down the rocky staircase.

"Wait, just think about this for a minute," Susan said.

"We don't have a minute," Peter told her.

"I'm just trying to be realistic."

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual."

Alex rolled her eyes at them as she continued to climb. Her head shot up when they heard wolf howls. They were getting close.

"Let's go!" Alex said, trying to get them to move down to the river side.

They made it to the bottom and stared at the ice before them. It was cracking slightly and looked unsteady. Peter took a step forward, but the ice shifted.

"Wait," Beaver said. "Maybe I should go first."

"Maybe you should."

Beaver started forward, treading carefully and testing the ice.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" his wife said.

"Well you never know what meal is going to be your last, especially with your cooking. As he moved further, Alex guided the others carefully onto the ice.

"Watch your step," she said quietly to them.

They slowly walked across the ice, trying to be careful not to crack the ice.

"If mum knew what we were doing," Susan started.

"Mum's not here!" Peter said to her.

"Oh no!" Lucy suddenly said.

They all looked up to see wolves running on the ice overhead.

"Run!" Peter shouted.

They went on faster now, still watching their step but trying to escape the wolves. Two appeared in front of them, blocking their path. Alex immediately recognized one as Maugrim. He growled at Beaver before the second wolf pounced on him.

"No!" Mrs Beaver and the elf cried.

Peter pulled out his sword. Alex had her hands on her swords' hilts, ready to pull them out in a moment notice.

"Put that down, boy," Maugrim said, walking towards them. "Someone could get hurt."

"Don't worry about me," Beaver called. "Run him through!"

"Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you."

"Stop, Peter!" Susan said. "Maybe we should listen to him."

Maugrim chuckled.

"Smart girl."

"Don't listen to him! Kill him!"

"Ah, come on. This isn't your war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go."

"She's not the queen," Alex growled.

"Look," Susan said to her brother. "Just because some man in a red coat gives you a sword doesn't make you a hero. Just drop it!"

"No, Peter!" Beaver called. "Narnia needs ya! Gut him while you still have the chance!"

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam?" Maugrim asked. "I won't wait forever, and neither will the river!"

"Peter!" Lucy shouted.

They looked up to see the ice cracking more and more, signalling it was about to burst.

"Hold onto me!" Peter shouted.

He stuck his sword into the ice. Alex pulled out one of her swords and did the same. The large ice dam suddenly broke, releasing hundreds of tons of water upon them. The group held their breath as freezing cold water washed over them. After what felt like ages, the piece of ice they were on rose from the water, allowing them to gasp for air.

Alex brushed her hair off her forehead to look behind them to make sure the wolves weren't following. As she turned back, she suddenly noticed Lucy slip out of her coat and into the water. The elf ripped her sword from the ice, slipped it in its sheath, and dove into the water. She quickly looked around the water to try and spot the girl. Alex swam as fast as she could down stream where she spotted Lucy struggling under the water. She wrapped her arms around Lucy's chest and swam for shore, pulling Lucy's head out of the water. The two took in quick breaths of air. Alex pushed Lucy on to the land then pulled herself up behind her.

"Are you alright?" Alex asked, breathing hard.

"Yes. Thank you, Alex."

The elf nodded.

"Come on. Let's find the others."

Alex wrapped the edge of her cloak around Lucy to try and keep her warm.

"Lucy!" they heard Susan shout. "Lucy!"

"We're here!" she called back.

They found their friends standing a few yards away, relief on their faces. Peter was holding Lucy's coat in his hands.

"Don't you worry, kids," Beaver said, looking at the older siblings. "Alex has your sister well looked after."

"Thank you," the two said to her.

Alex nodded to them.

"I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore."

Everyone turned around to see some of the trees beginning to blossom. Alex smiled.

"Spring has come again," she said. She looked at the Pevensies and the Beavers. "Let's go see Aslan."