CHAPTER ELEVEN: Struck, Fell Down, and Up Again

Dad and Mom situated me inside my room.

Thankfully my party was over.

Grace, what you did back there is grounds for sanction. We should ground you. 

Mom signed. A serious look was on mom's face.

"I know, Mom. But please, Carter and I have an agreement to travel around the neighborhood and seek cheap thrills. Here, look at these." I signed and said. I brought out my polaroid shots.

The ones at the Mcdonalds, the shots at Space Needle, at the Seattle Aquarium.

This Carter guy is cute. 

Mom smiled as she signed. I blushed. Dad looked on disapprovingly.

"Are you okay with your break-up with John, Grace?" Dad asked as he signed. We always sign even if Mom was out of sight inside the house. That has been the custom so Mom can always join in the discussion.

"I... I don't know. I think so. Dad, can I have one more present tonight?" I asked. Dad looked skeptical, but nodded nonetheless.

"I want to finish my agreement with Carter." I said. I looked at the clock.

11:25.

"I think that's-" Dad began to speak and sign. Mom held his hands and winced. My heart fell.

Go ahead Grace. Your Dad wishes you a happy a birthday. So do I. 

Mom smiled conspiratorially. I laughed and hugged them both.

"Bring Malcolm with you." Dad shouted as I bounded for the doors.

"I will!"

"I think it's around here." I pointed to a street. We were back to Denny Triangle finding Carter's home.

"You're rather... fond of this dude." Mr. Malcolm spoke with a grin. I rolled my eyes.

"No. I have a... crush on him, yes, but nope. I am not fond of him... yet." I smiled and blushed.

"I think he's a good guy. For someone to bring you home for dinner without ulterior motives..." He confirmed it to me with a raised brow.

"Yep. Just dinner. No ulterior motive." I chuckled.

"Then it's fine. I think we're here." Mr. Malcolm stopped and just like that, I saw his home.

"You knew. From the start you knew where his home is! You should've said so!" I slapped his arm as he chuckled.

"Yep. Won't let my Gracie out with a guy I can't hunt down. Seems a decent kid. No criminal record, good grades, decent neighborhood. His parents also volunteer with him at a deaf-mute kid activities at Denny Park." He smiled. Gosh. I sometimes forget that he's Special Ops before he was my bodyguard.

"You know more about him than I do." I said simply as I got down the Silver Volvo I like so much.

"Yeah. And Grace?" He called. I looked back.

"Please don't do that again. Disappear on me. If you want to vent off steam, at least let me know. I am not your parent but you are my daughter, yeah?" He smiled a watery smile and it almost looked like he's gonna cry.

"Thanks, Mr. Malcolm."

"One more thing."

"Huh?" I said distractedly, my mind worrying if Carter was really home or somewhere.