Loss

A brutal sight rose to meet Alf as he neared the intersection: Imperial guardsmen's bodies laid thrown in all directions, their arms, heads, and legs crushed as if hit by a wagon traveling at impossible speeds. The buildings surrounding the square lay in pieces as if a giant fist had punched holes through them, and the road itself bore deep, jagged indentations. A shiver of fear ran down his spine—whatever had done this was far beyond human strength.

Closing in on the Legal Center, Alf spotted a massive hole in the left side of the marble building. The breach opened into a stately office filled with ancient pieces of art and heavy wooden furniture.

Olivia knelt at the front of the office, beside a large desk spilled on its side. Her hands rested on a pale object.

At first, Alf wasn't certain if it was human or not. The figure looked nothing like he'd ever seen before: its skin shone an ugly grayish white. It's limbs looked shrunken and emaciated, and it's chest barely rose as it struggled to breath.

Alf jumped through the opening at last and raced to Olivia's side. As he neared the form, he realized in shock who it was.

It was Zachariahs.

He stumbled to a halt and stepped back. "What have they done to him?"

"I don't know," Olivia said touching Zachariahs's forehead. Her fingers shook. "I can't heal him. Every time I try to, it just hurts him more."

Zachariahs stirred and coughed. "Dark creatures from the pit of hell did this to me...after I refused them the Stone of Kay."

Alf knelt beside him. "Dark creatures? Do you mean the blood oaths?"

"Blood oaths?" Zachariahs wheezed, staring at him with bloodshot eyes.

Footsteps sounded outside and Alf shot to his feet.

"The other thug, where is he?"

"I rendered him unconscious," Olivia said glancing in the direction of the footsteps.

The two of them waited anxiously as the steps drew nearer. The sound of tiny rocks skittering across the ground and heavy breathing echoed in the air. Alf crouched, readying himself for battle while Olivia raised her hand.

Then, out of the dark smog, a figure appeared. The air around him flickered and glowed as it shifted through ultraviolet hues of violet, blue, and indigo.

Alf's shoulders relaxed. How in the world did he get here so quickly? he wondered.

Walking to the edge, he reached down and pulled Drake through the opening of the wall.

The boy's heart beat a rapid staccato in the silence. His chest rose and fell at abnormal speeds, and the colors surrounding him pulsated wildly as they faded in and out of view.

Alf raised his eyes in curiosity.

"Advanced applications of wind ma-," the prince started to reply but stopped as his eyes lit upon the mayor. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed and the spell enshrouding him faded away.

"Zachariahs."

"Your Highness," Zachariahs exclaimed. He tried to sit up, but Olivia gently pushed him back down.

"Sire, I-"

Drake held up his hand. "I understand. From your appearance, I would say you have less than forty minutes left. Maybe a little more if your determination does not falter."

The pale, gray figure of Zachariahs nodded.

"You've seen this before?" Olivia's eyes darted from Drake to Zachariahs then back again.