St. Vladimir's Academy.

It had been three weeks since the crash. I could tell because my phone was in my pocket, not a scratch on it. School was in full swing. The wrought iron gates in front of me opened with a creak. I probably looked like hell on earth as I slipped through. The guards stared at me as I walked, before rushing to a nearby phone. Shrugging, I strode up the path to find my sister. Surely if she was alive, she'd be here, right?

Wrong. Guards surrounded me at every angle. Silver stakes hung at the belts, some even had them in their hands. Fear struck me. There must be Strigoi nearby. I tensed. Then, realisation dawned on me. They thought I was Strigoi.

Headmistress Kirova stared down at me. I was wondering when Queen Bitch would show up. Her eyes bored into my soul, probably ripping me apart mentally. Next to her stood a rather tall guardian. Dark brown hair dangled at his shoulder, tied in a short ponytail at the back of his neck, probably revealing Molnija marks. Like every other guardian, he was tensed, ready for battle. He palmed a silver stake.

Kirova raised an eyebrow and gave me a once-over. I probably looked horrible, considering I was supposed to be dead. Hygiene is so last season. Kirova regarded me with a cold look mixed with something else. Wait, was that sympathy? Someone must have finally broken through to the ice queen herself. She was staring at my eyes, which I hoped were still the same old muddy brown. Clearly pleased with herself, she nodded and the guards moved away, giving me space to breathe.

Where were Rose and Lissa? Pretty much every student was standing around me now, all curious to see who the newcomer was. Surprise kids, still the same old Tori. I think.

The guardian just stared at me, his face clean of any emotion. I stared back. I refused to step down from a challenge. Especially a staring contest.

"Miss Hathaway. This is Dimitri Belikov." She had used the same tone many times before, when Rose and I had gotten in trouble, or I had started a small scuffle. This time was different.

"Everyone assumed you were dead, your sister and Princess Vasilisa came back saying they were the only survivors of the unfortunate crash. I take it you know something they don't?"

That stupid accent made me want to punch her in the teeth.

"Nope," I replied simply, shrugging my shoulders.

"Where have you been?" She continued, crossing her arms over chest.

"Don't know."

"That's not good enough, Miss Hathaway."

"Do you expect me to lie, Headmistress Kirova?"

Peopled had crowded around now, interested in our little conversation. They had good reason too, I suppose. Rose's face wasn't among them.

"Where's my sister?" I couldn't help it; my tone took on a sharper edge. Kirova's face remained stern.

"Your sister and Vasilisa have been missing for several days now. Are you telling me you do not know?"

"Pretty much why I look so surprised."

I can imagine that my face had fallen. Rose was missing, but she was alive. That was all I needed right now. Of course, I would force her to bring her ass back here. But for now, I knew she was alive. A cold shudder enveloped my body and I clutched my torn jacket closer to my body.

Kirova dragged me into her office, the guardian plastered to my side. She explained what would happen while they tried to find Rose. I knew she wouldn't, not unless Rose wanted her to. Or she made a stupid move. It was about a 50/50 chance. Rose may be stubborn, but she also had her brain. Sometimes it didn't help her. My body was numb as Kirova spoke; half the time I wasn't even listening. All I was thinking right now was my warm bed. I felt like I hadn't slept in three years. When she was done, Dimitri brought me to the room I shared with Rose. I mumbled a thank you and stumbled inside.

Thoughts whirled around in my brain at a million miles an hour. How was I supposed to sleep knowing Rose was out there? Really easily, considering the state I was in, but still dream world refused to say hi. Mumbling a string of curses, I swung myself out of bed and found some clothes to slip into.

Sunlight swarmed my body as I stepped outside. I felt wonderful. I smiled briefly and started at a brisk jog to the gym.

The warmth disappeared as I stepped inside. Slipping off my jacket, I hooked up a punching bag.

By the time I was only halfway through, I had destroyed two bags. I was hooking up the third when a grunt came from the doorway. Dimitri Belikov stood there in all his glory. He was quite attractive, but sadly, he wasn't my type.

"Can't sleep, Miss Hathaway?" An accent filled his voice and I immediately identified it as Russian. I nodded swiftly and turned back to my bag. Sweat dripped down my back, but I paid no attention.

I threw a few punches and the bag started to swing, I reached to steady it, but Dimitri beat me to it. "Put your shoulders back. Feet apart and chin up." He ordered.

I did as he said. "Are you going to coach me now, Cowboy?"

He lifted his eyebrows at the nickname, but brushed it off. Don't think I didn't notice the Old Western trench coat he had been wearing earlier. He nodded.

The class went on for another few hours before the bell rang. I was pooped. To say the least. Students started filing in and I shook my head, trying to focus on at least one thing. Dimitri started to walk away before he turned back to lock eyes with me. "Same time tomorrow. Don't be late."

Yep. He was trying to kill me.