Chapter Thirty-Six

Corinne woke up in her bed. The sun was shining through her windows and she wondered how long she had slept in. When she turned her neck, she felt a necklace brush against her collarbone.

What is this?

She rubbed the small flower made of silver. She felt really weird. Her mind was a little groggy and she felt a bit light headed. Her stomach was queasy as well. She sat up and tried getting out of bed but her legs gave way from underneath her and she banged her elbow on the dresser as she fell onto the floor. The lamp tipped off the dresser and crashed to the ground. Mrs. Harrison opened the door.

"Corinne? Corinne? Is it really you? What happened? Where have you been? You're home; you're really home!" She burst into tears and wrapped her arms around her daughter.

"What are you talking about mom? Why are you crying? Are you okay?" Corinne rubbed her elbow confused.

"Do you remember Corinne? Anything? Did someone hurt you? Where were you?" Her mom sniveled.

"Do I remember what? I don't really know what's going on."

Just then Mr. Harrison came through the door.

"Corinne?" He bent down and tears streamed down his face. He hugged her so tight she could barely breathe.

Corinne tried to pull away. "Okay, I don't know what is going on here. I just fell out of my bed. I'm okay I promise. I haven't been anywhere."

Mrs. Harrison kept crying. "You've been gone Corinne. You've been missing for a really long time. Are you telling me you don't know what happened?"

Missing? What is she talking about?

Her father grabbed her hand and stroked the top of it like a pet. "Corinne they found our truck smashed into a tree in the Muir Woods north of San Francisco. Do you remember any of this?"

"No."

"Do you remember leaving with Bria and Gavin?"

"Gavin? No. Where is he?" She asked impatiently.

Mr. Harrison shook his head. "We haven't seen him either, since the night you left. Corinne did he hurt you?"

"What? No, of course not!"

"Well, it's just that you, Gavin and Bria went missing on the night before your sixteenth birthday. We found out that Gavin didn't even have a home in Bayview and no trace of any of you was found until a few weeks ago, Bria returned maimed, and with no memory of what happened to her. Now you show up with no memory either and Gavin is still missing. The press is going to have a hay day with this story. Did anything...uh...bad happen to you Corinne?" He asked petting the top of her hand.

"I...I don't remember. I don't remember anything. I thought yesterday was the day before my sixteenth birthday."

"No honey. It's been almost six months since you turned sixteen and left us that note."

"What?" She muttered to herself in disbelief. She glanced at a picture of Gavin taped onto her bedroom mirror.

Suddenly she remembered the journal Gavin showed her. She remembered him transforming into a hawk. She remembered leaving a note for the Harrisons. She remembered that he said that she was a princess. She remembered the truck crashing into the tree. She remembered everything about that day until they stepped inside of that giant tree and then nothing. Her mind was blank. Something had happened, she was sure of it. She needed to talk with Bria right away.

Where is Gavin? Why am I still here on Earth?"

Her face went pale. "Corinne, are you okay? Do you need some time to yourself? You don't look well." Mrs. Harrison looked over to her husband. "Should we take her in to the doctor John?"