Chapter 20

When Sam woke up it was about 2am and Dean was asleep. Cas was sitting in a chair next to Dean his eyes were closed, but he wasn't asleep.

"Castiel?" Sam yawned and squinted his eyes he couldn't see if Cas had his eyes open, "you awake man?" There was no reply, Sam just laid back down.

"Yes, I am awake," Castiel replied in his deep voice, "angels do not sleep, I was praying."

Sam sat back up, "I guess I should have known that," he looked around the room, his voice a little shaky. "So...um...you're real? And the fire....that was real too?"

"Yes," Cas got up and went to look out the window, "this is not just another dream Sam."

"I wish it were," Sam sighed out, "I wish I could just wake up right now to my alarm clock screaming and Jess singing in the shower. I wish I didn't leave, I wish I could just go ba- wait-" Sam's face lit up a little Cas could see that even in the dark. "You're an angel, you could take me back to yesterday, then I wouldn't have left with you and Dean, and Jess would still be here!"

Cas walked over towards Sam, "I can't do that, even if I could there would be no way I could stop it."

"What? What do you mean you can't stop it?" Sam began getting defensive, his breathing speeding up. "Your telling me your an angel that can't go back in time? You telling me you can't stop a friggin fire?" Some angel you are." Sam sat on his bed gripping Jess' ring she never got to accept.

"Sam heaven will not allow me. I can go back but if I do it will not change anything, it was inscribed, that is the plan I can not change it. Even if I could change it," Cas stared at Sam, his eyes began to soften," Even if I was able to go back and save her, the result would be my death and hers, you'd have to relive her death all over again."

"What if- what if the was a chance we could change 'the plan' and keep you and Jess alive." Sam stared right into Cas' eyes and Cas stared into Sam's soul. "I mean we have to try right?"

"Sam, I'm sorry." Cas sat thinking about everything, arguing with himself in his mind.

Tears began to slowly roll down Sam's face. He sat there for a moment before he wiped his tears and broke the silence, "what's going on here?"

"What do you mean." Cas was once again confused.

"I mean, that was no ordinary fire, my girlfriend was on the friggin roof. The fire started on her. I mean I dreamed about it happening for weeks man, weeks, and I ignored it. Why did this happen? How did this happen? What's going on?"Sam's voice rose a little and the louder his voice got the more tears fell.

"Sam I'm not suppose to tell you," Sam sighed and looked down at his hands and Cas stared at him with his watery eyes, pushing his emotions back, "but despite the angels I believe you should know."

Sam stood up, when he was walking to sit on a chair across Cas he brushed against Deans hand and he immediately woke up. "Sam you okay?" He sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Cas?"

"Yeah Dean I'm okay, go back to sleep." Sam sat on a chair near Cas.

"No Dean should hear this as well," Cas looked out the window one more time.

"What do you mean? Hear what?" Dean sat at the foot of the bed.

"The fire, it's all apart of a plan." Castiel's deep voice was quiet.

"Yeah," Dean turned on a lamp next to the bed, the bright light illuminated the room and Sam turned his eyes away for a moment. "You keep talking about this plan heaven has, but you aren't telling us what the plan is."

"I don't know the entire plan, I only know the parts the other angels chose to tell me."

"Okay." Dean shrugged, "tell us the parts you know then."

"There's a demon."

Dean rolled his eyes, "demons? You mean straight out of hell, black eyed, evil sons of bitches?"

Sam spoke up, "Will you let him fucking finish Dean."

Cas continued, "His name is Azazel, he has yellow eyes. When Sam was a baby this demon visited him, he visited many others as well." Sam stared in disgust and Cas' eyes moved back and forth from Sam to Dean "He started creating his 'army'.." he paused. "Sam, how old are you?"

"I'm going to be 22 in may, why?" Sam was confused at the question.

"And the fire was when you were 6 months old right?"

"Yeah" Dean chimed in, "Why?"

"This demon, the last night he visited each of the babies was on the night they turned exactly 6 months old." Cas looked up at the two men then down to his hands, "he burned anyone who disrupted the process."

"What do you mean process?" Dean was confused, angry, and wanted to cry at the same time. The tone of his voice clearly showed his anger and confusion, but his face showed his sadness.

"What did he do to me?" Sam asked a little panicked.

Castile bowed his head and closed his eyes, "I don't know." That was a lie, Cas knew what the yellow eyes demon did he just didn't think Sam needed to know. Besides the angels would already be furious that he exposed that much.

"So what does this have to do with Jess?" Sam was fighting back the tears.

"I feel he wants to eliminate anything that might get in his way of you," there was a long silence, "he needs you Sam and he won't let anyone get in the way of his plans."

"Great," Dean stood up, "just fan-fucking-tastic. I have demon's after my little brother and angels after my angel."

Sam and Cas looked at Dean, Cas' eyes were wide and his cheeks were red. Dean looked up realizing what he said, "I didn't mean it in a weird way, stop looking at me like that Sam."

Sam grinned a little and shrugged, "I wasn't staring in a weird way Dean, jeez."

"I don't know about you guys, but I think I'm going back to bed, the demons and angels can wait till morning, okay?" Dean turned of the lamp and laid back down. With his arms crossed of his chest he drifted back to sleep. Sam went to sleep as well, but Cas stayed awake staring out the window, glancing at Dean every so often.