Chapter 11: The little glass slipper

The following day, Lauren found herself lying on the floor of their home. She sat up, confused, having no recollection of what had happened the previous night that could explain why she was on the floor instead of the bed. She walked around the home, finding an unfamiliar closet with male clothing, scented with the smell of a man she wasn't sure she knew. Two sets of teacups in the dining room and two bedrooms failed to recall her memory of the man that must have lived there. She exited the house, and her feet led her to the market. There, the women were shouting for their goods, and nothing in the sphere felt off except Lauren herself.

Then, strolling towards her was a graceful lady with strawberry blonde hair and pink-colored eyes, wearing a plain blue dress. "Are you all right?" the lady inquired. "You look confused. Do you need to see a doctor?"

"Oh...no, I'm fine, thank you," Lauren answered the lady.

"Are you really?" The stranger took one of Lauren's hands in concern. "What is it that's bothering you?"

"It's just..." Lauren mumbled to herself, "Do we know each other?"

"Yes, of course! Have you forgotten me already?" the lady asked, raising her voice ever so slightly in surprise.

Other women at the market seemed to have noticed the two by this point, and they chimed in. "You are the best of friends, Lauren! Have you forgot Selene already?" "The girl seems rather confused. Maybe she needs a doctor."

And, to the doctor she was taken, with Selene holding her hand. Lauren couldn't recall having ever known this woman no matter how hard she tried, but she seemed to be a nice lady.

The asylum doors never opened again after Lauren enter through them.

Months later, as Dradel and Charon were conversing in the garden over political issues, they both felt a strange sensation, as if something wasn't quite right. The two men turned their heads at the same time, only to see the only lady they knew that had pink eyes, standing there in the midst of the flowers, beaming at them.

Dradel gave Charon a smile and a pat on the back. Without a word, Charon ran towards her, throwing his arms around her to assure himself that she wasn't just an illusion this time.