Chapter 19: Being Here For Her

After the movie, I took my finished painting downstairs and showed it to my family. Their eyes wrinkled in amazement as they came over to inspect it.

"It looks amazing, Cleo." Mom breathed. "Mrs. Triton would be so proud of you." Dad and Uncle Seth nodded as their fingers touched the painting. At first, I wanted to thank the painting away but I saw no paint on their fingers.

It was a good thing that I used paint markers. I tossed a silky black cloth over the canvas then waited for my parents and uncle to leave the living room.

Uncle Seth turned off the TV and together, we all showed up in my father's car. After turning on the ignition, my father started the car then backed out of the driveway.

His expression didn't change as he pressed his foot on the accelerated pedal and moved forward. As Dad drove, I stared at the sky shrouded with luminous clouds.

With the clouds on the horizon, I wondered if this is wrong to bring my painting to a funeral. Sensing my thoughts, Mom glanced in my way then promised me that everything is going to be okay.

"I don't know," I sighed. "What if this painting-" "Cleo," Uncle Seth interrupted. He was sitting next to me, secured in his passenger seat. He gave me a long look then sighed.

"Your painting is amazing," Uncle Seth reassured. "I am sure that everyone will love it, even Paige." It was the first time in three weeks I heard her name. Paige, I thought sadly.

That's when Dad gave his younger brother a sharp look. "Seth," he snapped. "What?" he asked. I gave my uncle a gentle pat on the shoulder. "It's fine," I insisted. "Have you talked to Paige at all?" Mom asked. I shook my head.

"She's still in a coma," I sighed. "What about Jared?" Dad suggested. "Do you still...talk to him?" Ever since Paige stayed in her hospital bed, Jared didn't call me, he didn't text, and he stopped coming to my house.

His parents wouldn't even let me go near him. That's how bad Jared's traumatic condition is. "He's recovering," I answered mournfully. "That terrorist attack did a number on him, huh?" Uncle Seth guessed.
"I don't blame your friend, he needs some time to himself."

He touched the fabric of the black cloth with his finger then nodded at me. "We're almost there," said Dad, turning the vehicle around with his right hand. During the trip to the funeral, Uncle Seth passed out sleeping while I watched Mom slipping her fingers around Dad's left hand.

"You know I love you, right?" Mom asked. Dad smiled at the road then held her hand. "Of course, Irene." he whispered. "I love you too." Mom kissed Dad's cheek then sighed.  "You really think I am the most strangest man in the world?" Dad chuckled.

"Yeah," Mom admitted. "But I had always liked the strange type." "Before or after we got married?" Dad asked. "Before I married you," Mom answered. "I remembered I was walking to school until I saw you walking out of your house."

"Your foster mother was crazy." Dad laughed in response. "She is," he agreed. "I remembered our first case together, Kidnapped." After a long silence, Mom looked at Dad. "Will Cleo be okay?" she asked.

As soon as he came across a stoplight, Dad stopped the car then shrugged his shoulders. "Cleo is doing okay," Dad reassured. "She just got out of that nightmare." Mom said something that made my skin crawl.

"Ben," Mom began. "Do you think that we are a bad influence on her?" Dad looked at her as if she was crazy. "I don't think so," he replied. "She dreams to become a detective when she grows up."

"I know," she sighed. "But what if she gets kidnapped or hurt, like the museum explosion? What if she ended up like her History teacher?"

I swallowed a gulp then stared at the floor. Mom's right, I thought. Just then, Dad let out a sigh. "Irene," he began. "Do you know why I call you Irene?" Mom wiped her tears then thought about it for a while.

"Because I beat you all the time?" she asked jokingly. "Close," Dad said. "Because you are the most bravest woman I have ever met in all of my life." Mom looked at him in shock.

"To be honest, it was one of the reasons why I have decided to marry you." Dad confessed. "You never back down from a challenge, you're independent, and you always help those who are in need."

"Ben," Mom giggled, punching him in the shoulder. "Also," Dad laughed, rubbing his sore shoulder. "You have a knack for fighting." He took Mom's hands then held them.

"Cleo is just like us when we were her age. Some day, she will be a strong, smart, and stubborn detective too. She is going to face the world one day so it is our job to prepare her for the worst."

Dad, I thought. "This is her third case she solved on her own," Dad continued. "Cleo can handle this. If she needs our help, we will be there for her."

Mom gave me an approving nod then leaned on his shoulder. "Okay," she said. "Maybe I am just having these stupid doubts." "You're being a Mom," Dad reasoned. "Mothers do that sometimes." "I know," she sighed.

"I just don't want Cleo to end up like me." Dad kissed her gently on her forehead then went back to his driving position." "Or me," he replied softly.

As soon as the stoplight turned green, he resumed driving until Dad notices a group of black vehicles surrounding a small funeral home. Much to my surprise, I saw my friend Jared and his friends marching into the funeral home, looking sad and miserable.

"Is this the place?" Dad asked, pointing his finger across from him. I gave him a small nod. As the path cleared, Dad turned the car  to the funeral home and parked it right next to a black Toyota.