18

Madelaine grabbed her horse, putting the saddle on quickly and making sure it wouldn't fall. She needed to get out of that town, no matter what he had to say about it. She finally got the saddle on, and made Jeffery sprint for the forest. She passed the river, then passed the hill they were at that day she realized just how beautiful a monster could be. 

     Now she knew behind that beauty that a real monster was within. Even if he didn't want her to kiss him, he could've stopped it. And he didn't. He didn't walk away, he didn't go back to the tavern to get Madelaine. And now, look what's happening. 

     She didn't quite know where she was going, but she was going somewhere. But she'll never know. The only sound that filled her ears was her horse's hooves and her own sobs. She truly knew the meaning of love now, and love means getting hurt. 

     Because love is weakness. 

          *****

     "Lefou!" Gaston shouted, banging on the door. He sighed, when there was no answer yet again. He ran to the stables, grabbing his horse and setting off to the woods himself. He was in a dazed state still, he couldn't process what just happened. 

     One minute he was happy, talking with the girl he loved. The next, he's forcefully pinned against a wall and being seduced by a different woman. It was a blur, looking back at it. It was a blur because tears were forming in his eyes. 

     Now he was beginning to understand now, he understood the pain. He understood what it was like. And he had that exact same feeling he had the night he was going to kill the prince. Not jealousy, not anger. Love. He felt love, and he couldn't push away his love because he was too attached to it. 

     And now, his love is gone. She ran away, not even thinking twice. Hell, she's probably already out of France for all anyone knows. Gaston stopped his horse, hearing himself hyperventilating as he road. Too much was going through his mind. But for sure, he knew one thing. Before getting Madelaine back, he was going to murder Arthur, even if it meant jail time. 

          *****

     Madelaine stopped her horse, trying to calm her breathing down once she heard her own breathing. It was so fast that she swore her stomach was pumping blood instead of her heart. She climbed down from her horse, walking to a river and scooping up some water. She drank, then looked around at the peaceful woods. 

     Peace. 

     Something she didn't have in this crazy world. Which was absolute torture, none the less she dealt with it. But right now, she couldn't. All she wanted was happiness, joy, love, and peace. She wasn't going to get it, because someone followed her. 

     The night in shining armor. The man she met just a few days ago. Maybe four days ago? The man everyone loves. The bitch she hates. Prince Arthur himself, in the flesh to comfort the girl that he broke. Because he sent Katherine to do his bidding, he sent the one girl in town he knew would do that for him. 

     And it worked perfectly. 

     When Madelaine saw the Prince, she started for her horse, but didn't quite get to leave in time. 

     "Madelaine, wait, wait! What happened? What's wrong?" he asked running up to her. "Are you crying?"

     "No, my eyes are sweating from me running so much," she replied sarcastically. Arthur drew a fake frown, pulling the girl into him. She realized in that moment how much she needed a hug, and wow did she like this one. It almost reminded her of when...