f o u r

The male, in whom I was currently tottering beside, was named Harry. His last name remain unknown, although I wasn't in the least bit curious as to what it could be. I was going with him- to who know's where- and despite the situation seeming voluntary, it truly was not in the slightest. I felt as if I were being kidnapped. Except, there really was no further choice. 

Though, I couldn't deny the fact that his claims were correct. People are stronger in numbers. And, granted I would much rather be scavenging the land by myself, I wasn't capable of doing so. If I were to stumble away alone, it would result in certain death. Whereas, going with Harry may have it's risks, there is the slim possibility that I could come out of this alive. 

"Violet," Harry murmured subtly, clearing his throat. I almost jumped at his voice. For, this was the first time he had said my name since I had reluctantly given it to him. The sound was so foreign and obscure, "I need you to tell me how you got here."

I furrowed my brows, confused at his command, "what do you mean? And, why?"

Unamused at my inquiring, he pursed his lips, "I just need to know what you saw," his gaze fell towards the dirt, "as much information as possible. It might better our chances at getting out of here."

I hesitated. For one, I had not a clue if this man were to be trustworthy. But, on the other hand, was there all that much to loose?

"A black van," I started, "several people accompanied me."

His jaw clenched, a sharp nod occurring subsequently, "how many people?"

"I think five- including me."

"One from each Station," he subtly murmured to himself, "you notice anything else?"

I hesitated for a moment in thought, before replying briskly, "None of us were around the same age."

He didn't say anything back. Merely gazing forward at nothing in particular, all while he seemed to breathe in my monotone words. Soon, he hummed in a whist tone. Giving me the impression that the information I had willingly given was enough for now. 

I blew out a short breath of lukewarm air. Wondering as to how far we had left before we reached the yearned for destination. My feet stung uncomfortably- and although I had sipped Harry's canteen dry, my throat still begged for water. Not to mention, I was starving beyond belief. 

"Erm, ...Harry?" I suddenly shattered the awkward silence, cocking a brow. His name feeling horrendously foreign as it left my dry tongue, "where is this place we're headed?"

He paused for a moment, glancing at me for less than a millisecond, "far. We're settled a long ways away from the center. The Reinforcers and the Cursers live to kill. We can't take our chances being anywhere close to them."

"Why ever go into the city, then? If it's so dangerous."

"To retrieve people. Sometimes there's supplies wandering about as well. We even send others there to collect information."

"Information?" I pressed.

"Those monsters aren't mute. Sometimes when they think we're not around- they talk. And, a secret or two falls into our hands."

A minute or two of uncomfortable silence passed by as I pondered upon his words. And, the more I thought about my current situation, the more dizzy I became. Death to me seemed eerily close, and resultantly goosebumps navigated about my spine.

 And, without warning, a surge of lividness throbbed about my aching limbs. The Reinforcers were not allowed to just place me within the midst of nowhere, without any information nor chance at survival. Was I put here to die? Had someone been watching my each and every move; possibly declaring me a mere waste of space? I wasn't in the least bit sure, but I craved knowledge.