Chapter 2: Helicopters / Beware

Stefan laughed as he pulled into a parking space outside of his dorm building. He and JT spent a majority of the drive-up tailing or racing one another since they both decided to bring their cars. Elsa didn't think it was necessary, but Stefan knew that he couldn't rely on JT to use his car whenever he wanted to take Aria out. Elsa knew she could count on either boy to help her with any errands she might need, so her bases were covered. 

"You two are the worst, you know that!" Elsa whined slamming the door behind her. "We know," JT grinned as he opened his trunk. "I'll go get us some carts," Stefan offered making his way towards the building. Texas University took pride in a lot of things. They cared for their students, their programs, campus activities and traditions, as well as, their buildings and landscapes. The hall decorations blew their minds during the week they had all stayed on campus during Fish Fest, but as Stefan made his way in, he realized the campus would continue to surprise him.

Every inch of the lobby was decorated to welcome incoming students and their families. It was move in day, so there were stations for carts, water and snacks, as well as upperclassmen willing to assist with moving. As Stefan grabbed a cart, he spotted a familiar face and struggled internally on whether to speak.

It was no secret that he and Caleb were not the best of friends. They were both into the same girl and naturally that made things awkward. However, Tyler filled him in during the last few weeks of summer that things, however complicated, were over between Aria and Caleb. You have nothing to worry about. He thought as he made his way over.

"Hey man!" He greeted. Caleb seemed to be thrown off guard for a second before recovering. "Hey." A few awkward seconds passed before Caleb broke the silence. "Did you just get in?" He asked. "Yeah. We just got here." Caleb looked towards the door. "We?" Stefan knew by his inquiry and tone that he wasn't thinking about JT and Elsa.

"Yeah, JT and Elsa are outside. We all drove up this morning." His face visually relaxed and Stefan couldn't help himself. "Did you think I was talking about Aria?" The tension that seemed to always follow them was back with a vengeance. Stefan prepared himself mentally and physically for what he felt would turn into something, but was shocked when Caleb's demeanor changed.

"Look, Stefan, we started on the wrong foot and I apologize for that." Caleb sighed. "I think Aria is beautiful and an overall amazing person, but I'm just not looking for a relationship. I know that you're into her and that's cool." He seemed to rush out. "All I'm saying is, I'm not going to get in your way."

The look on Stefan's face must have showcased how shocked he was, because Caleb couldn't help but stifle the growing chuckle. "Don't be so shocked. I'm really not that bad of a guy." He chuckled nervously walking towards the entrance. "I can help if you want." He offered and Stefan was appreciative.

"Thanks man." They both knew he wasn't just thanking him for his assistance. Stefan knew deep down that Caleb really wasn't this bad guy even when he did like Aria. He wasn't sure if he bought the whole "I'm just not into her" routine Caleb was selling, but his grandmother taught him early that a man is only as good as his word. So, he was going to choose to believe him and move forward with Aria happily.

He hadn't asked her out officially, because he didn't like the tension between she and Caleb. He still wanted to wait and see them together, but judging from Caleb's demeanor all the things Tyler said seemed true. He wasn't planning on having a girlfriend this early in his college career, but if anyone was deserving of that title it was Aria Jane Caldwell.

JT, Stefan, Tyler and Preston were rooming together once more this semester and they were all beyond thrilled about it. They had such a good dynamic that made living together easier. Elsa, Daisy and Brooke were all living together just one floor above them, so that was going to be fun. They lucked out with their fourth roommate bailing, so they had the room to themselves.

Daisy always loaded up on the best snacks which all of the guys appreciated. As they all settled in, Stefan fought the urge to call Aria. They hadn't talked much that day because he was driving and she wanted to spend her last day with her family distraction free. He wanted to tell her all about his day like he always did, but wanted her to have the quality time she deserved.

He loved how important family was to her. Aria cared so much about her friends, but the way she loved her family was awe-inspiring. She cherished her mom and brothers more than anything and they the same for her. It made Stefan want something like that. He wondered what it'd be like to be with someone so selfless and loving. He imagined how comforting being with someone who kept their word and loved you fully would feel like.

Stefan wanted to be loved so much by someone that valued every moment spent together and never thought about leaving him behind. He knew deep down that pursuing something more with Aria was scary. He had never had any serious girlfriends, but he wanted that with her. He could see himself falling in love with her and it frightened him. Love was a finicky thing that he learned quite young left you hurt and lonely. 

He and his brother, Victor, knew from early experiences that loving someone gave them power over you. They loved their parents but that wasn't enough to make them stay. Their grandmother loved them as best she could, but it wasn't the same. Stefan knew if he put himself in that position he could get hurt or worse left. He had his heart broken by the first woman he ever loved that was supposed to love him back and he really didn't want to step out into unfamiliar territory despite it being a different kind of love. Was he ready to take that chance? Is Aria worth it?