Change of Plans

"Did you hear that?" I stick my arm out, signaling for my team to stop for a second, "I think I hear one"

    "I think I hear it too, it can't be too far." Katie replied, looking around. I go from my low crouch to a stand, scanning the area for any distortions of any sort, the rest of the team follows, forming a circle, each of us facing a different direction. 

    "Uh.. Guys?" I hear Ryan say. I immediatley turn around and see a sword materialize in front odf him, about to swing down on him. 

    "Shoot it!" I yell and pull up my gun to shoot it myself, but before any of us can it swings down and hits Ryan. Everything starts to fade away and disintegrate as the island turns back into the large white room. 

    "Mission Failed." I hear overhead.

    "Damn it Ryan, why didn't you shoot?!" I hear Spencer yell. Spencer was probably the person with the most temper on the team, he was easy to anger, but also was pretty strong so I guess that might come in handy later...
    "Hey, calm down Spencer, yelling isn't going to help, ok?"

    "Well if we keep this up, nothing will!"

    "Hey! I said enough." I glare at him, at first he gets mad, but then drops it. I guess he decided that he probably shouldn't punch someone of higher rank.

    "Team Alpha 16 report to observatory deck", We heard overhead. 

    "Well, we'd better see what they want." I say, heading towards the teleport dock, "I hope it's nothing serious..." I mutter to myself, feeling that same anxious feeling like when I was called to the office back in high school rising again, but tried to calm myself.

We headed down the corridor towards the observatory deck, taking a seat in the chairs set up for us when we got there.

    "Now I bet you're all wondering why I brought you here, well while you all have been practicing for battle, we've been keeping a close eye on the crash site. Recently not too long ago, scannings indicated that there was something in the ship. Is was an unknown foriegn objec in the center of the ship. We didn't know if it had any importance or anything, but sent down a few droids down there to take a look. We never got to the object itself, but something, we don't know what, had exploded." Captain Jack said, pointing towards the screen which was showing the footage they caught of the explosion. There was obviously something there that might of caused it, but i just couldn't get a clea image of it, and apparently they couldn't either. "The explosion was minor, but triggered other explosions, from gas leaks, circuitry, etc, that has now destroyed most of the ship, leaving the rest of it in poor condition. It's because of the recent evens that we have closed off the cite of the explosion, we are to believe that this explosion might have killed off about at most, half of the infection. But until we get a good idea of what all is going on down there, we are going to have to postpone your mission. We won't be sending you down just yet until we get a good look at what's going on and what exactly those things are down there." He continued. I felt a wave relief flood over me at the words "postpone mission". I glanced around a little at the rest of my team and could see it in their eyes, they must've been relieved too. "That's all we have for now, but we will kepp you updated as these events go on. That's all for now, you're dismissed." he said, turning and walking away, glancing out the glass back down at the earth. It was obvious from where we were, especially since we were hovering barely in the earth's atmosphere, that you could see the island, along with the wreckage on it. It almost looked like a huge burn mark or a black skid on the island, but now after they had closed off the crash site, it looked more like this enclosed waste land of wreckage and scorched earth, as if a war had raged there.

    We headed back towards our corridor, happier than normal, but we all knew why. Ryan was the first one to speak up.

    "Well, that's a load off the shoulders, huh?" He said, letting out a sigh. We all smiled, a few of us laughing a little.

    "Well I sure am relieved, I mean, when I heard postponed in my mid I was just like thank you!" Katie said, flashing a smile which caused me to smile in return. She had the prettiest smile I swear.

    We headed into our rooms, it was free time so we had an hour to practice, be alone, read a book, anything really. I always thought it was kind of nice to have an hour of free time, it gave me a chance to get a break from al the seriousness and practice and everything. I would always head to observatory deck E, the closest one to our rooms, and just loo out the window towards the stars and all, listen to music and just fade away into my own world. It is always amazing to see all the beautiful stars and planets and see just how small our world really was. For most civilains on earth it was even smaller. I remember my first time up in space, I thought it was amazing, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.i grabbed my tablet and earphones and headed out the room.

    "Heading to the observatory deck again?" I could hear Jake behind me as I walked away. I tunred to him.

    "Yup, you know it" I said. I could see a smile spreadin on Jake's face, "What? What is it?" I ask, turning to see what it is. BANG. I walk right into a pillar. i can hear Jake laughing behind me as i recover from my embarassing fail. "Note to self, watch where you're walking." I mutter to myself, rubbing my head as I continue to walk, "great now I have a headache..."

    I sat down on a bench and watched the stars, plugging in my earphones as I tried to ignore the slight pain in my forehead still from my earlier mishap. I close my eyes and fade off into my own world as the music starts to play.

============================================================

Author's note: 

    So sorry for the long wait everyone, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and look forward to the next. Don't worry, I'll try and get chapter 3 out as soon as possible, it won't be as long (sorry in advance) but I hope you will like it anyway, I promise I won't keep you guys waiting as long as I have been...