Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Peeta?" I whisper. The word escapes my lips so quietly I can barely hear it myself. I'm surprised I can even force any words out, the lump in my throat was already forming due to the terrifying thoughts overthrowing my conscience.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I ask, the pressure in my throat begs to be released, resulting in me nearly choking on my words.

Peeta brings his focus away from the cluster of people he is chatting with and brings his glance to me, a soft smile creases his face. I notice his smile slightly fade once he notices my frantic look. His eyebrows crinkle in both confusion, and compassion. He knows something's wrong.

"Excuse me for a moment." He says politely to the people he was conversing with. They all smile and give him a reassuring nod, gesturing approval for him to exit the conversation.

He places his glass of wine down on a nearby table and purses his lips together. His big blue orbs soften as he slightly nods his head towards me. "Of course you can." He says. His tone is so comforting, so inviting, that I can feel myself become slightly less tense.

He places his strong, baker hands firmly on my shoulders and slowly runs them down the length of my arms until he reaches my hands. He grasps my hands in his own and gives them both a slight squeeze. His eyes catch mine, so glassy and clear I can see a trace of my own eyes reflecting off of his. I can't help but smile, but the ache in my heart is becoming unbearable.

He leads me through the crowd by the hand, intertwining between waltzing couples until we find our way out of the ballroom. We walk hand in hand down the long hallway. The ceilings are insanely tall, the tops of it painted with murals of fishermen and other Sea Creatures.

A few years ago, before the rebellion and the taking down of the Capitol, there would never be a house this magnificent in a district. After the rebellion President Paylor declared all surviving victors of the Hunger Games earn their right to a new, Capitol-style mansion as a sort of payback for all of their years of suffering in the memories of The Games. I honestly don't think a house could ever repay the drastic measures each of us had to endure, but then again what can?

Most of the victors did end up receiving the houses, but Peeta, Haymitch, and I did not. We wanted to try to return to our old lives, and the old houses in the Victors Village gave us a small glimpse of the better parts of our pasts. After all, District 12 was home to us and we couldn't bear the thought of losing the one thing that wasn't blown to bits in the bombing.

This house lies in District 4 and belongs to Annie. She was in such a state of shock, depression, and sadness after the passing of Finnick that she couldn't bear to live in the house that the two of them once shared. So, she had the New Capitol (a.k.a. The N.C.) construct her a new, glorified, massive mansion.

The N.C. Builders had just concluded their finishing touches on the house last week. Annie found her self and little Fin quite lonely in the giant house all by themselves, and decided to throw a huge house warming party, which explains why Peeta and I are here.

I must admit, it's a beautiful house. It's tall ceilings, massive windows, winding stairs, and multiple enormous ballrooms, but every thing here seems to remind me of my stay in the Capitol. It just seems too nice, too fancy, to belong in a District.

But, times have changed and I suppose it's time I accept that change.

-

Peeta and I travel through the long hallways in hopes of finding a safe place to talk privately. Peeta's shoes squeak against the tiles, as my high heels click each time they skim the ground, echoing over the murmurs of groups of people chatting in the otherwise vacant halls.