ix

Thea's knee bounced anxiously as she stared at Josh's sleeping face. The moment she got the call that he was transferred to the hospital, she ordered an Uber. This is too much stress in three days, she thought to herself, dragging a hand through her hair. Joshua didn't look too bad though. A broken nose, and a black eye. What she couldn't see was hidden by the blanket—severe bruising to the ribs. She leaned forward and rested her forehead on the bed. She was tired. From one injured person to the next. She didn't want to see another bandage or gauze for the rest of the week.

She heard a sigh and looked up to see Josh's head turn.

"Joshua? Josh?" Her hand went to his shoulder. He grunted, eyes squeezing shut before reopening and focusing on her. When he doesn't speak, she decides to. "You are an ass."

His lips twitch. "Don't–shit." She watched as his eyes squeeze shut again—probably finally registering the pain.

She points at the button near his hand. "Nurse says to press that if you need pain relief."

He looks at where she's pointing and grabs the button.

"I didn't want you to fight. I told you it's stupid. I always tell you it's stupid."

He let out an exaggerated breath. "Kind of unfair for you to choose this as our topic of conversation knowing I'm forced to listen."

"I'm serious, Josh. That guy could've killed you."

"He wasn't that great a fighter."

"He kicked your ass."

Joshua's shoulders shook from laughter, and then he grimaced. "Don't fucking make me laugh, Thea, it hurts."

"Sorry." She smiled despite her words. "You had me worried."

He looked at her with a pout that eventually morphed into an apologetic smile. "You don't have to worry about me."

"Yeah, I do."

"Who else will, right?" He laughed bitterly and turned his head. She opened her mouth and then closed it, knowing that nothing she'd say would help. "What time is it?"

She pulled her phone from her pocket and glanced at the screen. "Almost four."

"Did you go to classes today?"

She shook her head.

"Thea, don't start cutting—"

"Look who's talking. It's fine. One day won't kill my average."

"Your dad's gonna know."

"I'll tell him my period came. He usually doesn't know what to say to that besides, oh. Um. Of course. Okay. Just be sure to make up the work you've missed. He's nice and awkward about it."

"I think every guy is. Can you get me some water?"

"Yeah. Be right back."

Thea smiles and stands, walking towards the door. She glanced back on the way out, just to make sure he was okay, before swiftly heading down the hall towards the ice machine and water fountains. She was an innate worrier, especially when it came to Joshua. He liked to shrug it off or make jokes or roll his eyes, but she knew deep down he appreciated knowing someone cared and that someone was looking out for him. Family for the both of them were...complicated. The only uncomplicated thing was them. In truth, they were all they had.