Chapter Five, Part Two: Hello Old Friends, We Meet Again

It took two days until any of us entered the Diner again. During that time all anyone did was quietly exist and marvel about the garage.

Not many of us doubted that we had been here before after we saw the evidence inside the new building. No one brought up the memory directly, but we each implied enough details to know that we all remembered the same thing. Apparently every one of us had been there.

It also took two days until Kyofu left his house but even in doing that he was hard to find. Sometimes I would catch sight of him on the roof of the Store but he didn't acknowledge me. I was anxious to know if he had thought more about the report but I was too hesitant to ask.

It took me two days of a strictly popcorn diet before I let myself back in the Diner. I was quick to pass through the door and sit at the counter.

"Hon'yomi."

"Huh?" I looked up from the white countertop and the invisible patterns I had been making with my finger.

Kena shook her head while standing at the grill. "I said, do you want your bun toasted or regular?"

I sat up realizing I had fallen into a slouch. "Oh um...toasted."

She plopped the buns onto the grill next to the hamburger. While I waited I tapped my fingers anxiously.

"Hey do you think he was right?"

I frowned. "Who?"

Kena shrugged. "Renji." The Comedian did her best to speak of the Ventriloquist casually. "You know, he said you could've been sick because you might be allergic to something."

My reaction was to sigh. "I think I would kno-"

Kena shot me a look.

"Alright alright. So there's a possibility that I could be allergic to something and I don't remember." I began tracing patterns again. "But what could it be?"

"Well what have you eaten?" Kena mused.

"I don't know..." I winced. "How long have we even been here?"

Kena blanched. "Um...I have no idea."

"I mean since we remember being here."

"Well..." She thoughtfully flipped a hamburger. "We woke up and explored before Monokuma showed up. He arrived the second day."

I nodded, thoughts racing ahead of hers to add up the days. Day three...that was Hana and the first trial. Utsumi didn't die until the fifth night so that made today...

"Nine." I looked at Kena. "Today is the ninth day." Was it really? Three people had died before we had been here a week!

"Has it only been nine days?" Kena looked astonished.

I nodded. "I don't think I'm counting wrong."

"Well, can you remember everything you've eaten?" She asked again, shying away from discussing time.

I frowned, sifting through my jumbled thoughts. "Um, cookies, chips, those pancakes you made...a muffin..."

I ran the days through my mind and I discovered that I had seriously been lacking in the area of food consumption. I guess with the stress of everyday life here I had forgotten how hungry I usually was all the time.

"Oh! I didn't feel good so I ate nearly a whole box of saltine crackers. Also two hamburgers you made." That made me eye the one she had cooking on the grill.

Kena dismissed my thought immediately. "If there was something wrong with my cooking everyone would be affected by now."

While she was right and I was sure she wasn't at fault, the thought brought a shiver down my spine and I discovered how easy it would be for Kena to poison someone. "Then...well what is it?"