The Calm Before The Storm

Home. Home at last. Thought the shape shifter. As she approached her small, light brown painted house, she felt uneasy. She began to grow dizzy, and goosebumps crawled onto her pale skin. She could feel herself growing more and more dizzy as she neared the door, until finally, it was too much for her to handle. Her hands immediately clutched her head, then one arm shot out to brace herself against the door. But as soon as she touched the wooden door, it opened, causing her to tumble forward and onto the ground. Her vision began to grow clouded, until it was too dark to see anything but the outline of a figure's feet standing right in front of her. She tiredly tilted her head up to get a better look, but all she could see was a silhouette of a person. No, this wasn't a person. It looked like it, but Kailey could sense that it was much more. It didn't greet her, or go through any introductions, it only spoke in a hushed, raspy voice. "Night night." It leaned down, placing it's index finger in between her eyes. Her vision went black.

Kailey shot up from her bed, panting from fear and holding back a shriek. It was just a nightmare. Everything's okay. She thought, rubbing her eyes to clear her vision. There was the smallest bit of light shining through her window, and she knew it was time for her to get ready for the day. A groan of annoyance escaped her pale lips, and she lazily swung her legs over the side of her bed. Rising to her feet, she checked her alarm clock. 6:30. Perfect. The female ran to her bathroom, getting dressed, brushing her teeth, and combing her hair. Then, she ran downstairs, only to see that the lights weren't on. Did they leave already? She wondered, shrugging after a good two seconds of thought. She didn't really mind that her parents left for work earlier than she left for school. After all, their jobs kept them from starving. Though, she was a little disappointed that she wasn't able to say her goodbyes. She did feel slightly bad about worrying them the day before by not being home during all the commotion with Eddy and the explosion in their neighborhood. That turned out to be a grill exploding, and it did cause a slight house fire. Luckily, nobody had been harmed during it all, but her and her parents did have a late night in attempts to control the fire and comfort the now homeless family. Nonetheless she smiled, grabbing a poptart from the cabinet and rushing out the door.

That day wasn't a normal school day for her. This time, everyone whispered instead of goofing off in the halls. She wasn't able to make out what anyone was saying, and whenever she asked, people either frowned and walked away, or snickered at her. She was starting to get frustrated, to say the least. "Kailey!" Came the voice of her history teacher, Mr. Jone, "I got your books!"

Kailey spun around to see the older brunette walking towards her, an obvious fake smile on his face. Once he finally reached her, he held out the books to her, to which she gladly took them. "Thanks, Mister Jone." She replied, nodding her head. "By the way, do you know what all the whispering is about?"

Mr. Jone's fake smile had immediately vanished at the question. He let out a loud cough, "Ah, yes, about that." He paused, "There's been a slight problem with one of your fellow classmates-"

"Who?" She asked. Mr. Jone's lips pursed in hesitation, before he finally let the words slip from his mouth, "Edward."