Present Day

"So..." Emma starts.

We're both on our apartment's couch, propped against the armrests, engaged in some unsaid staring contest.

"So." I look at her expectantly.

"Like I said: you seem to be looking for someone." She tilts her head, waiting for me to explain.

I sigh, my heart aching as I think about him. This moment was gonna come sooner or later. "I haven't seen my friend in two, no, three weeks," I say, holding up two, then three fingers.

"Who's this friend?" She taps her chin thoughtfully. "I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone we've not seen in weeks. So, who's this that you're meeting privately with? What's their name?"

"It's a he, and his name is Darius." That's simple enough.

"How long have you known him?" She sits up and leans forward.

I take a deep breath before replying. "Four years."

"FOUR YEARS!" she shouts before clamping her hand over her mouth quickly. She scrambles over to me. "How have I not known about him?! Dhara, we're best friends!" she whispers, incredulous.

"I'm sorry, okay? I just didn't know how to...explain it," I say, biting my lips.

She backtracks. "I'm sorry too. Just because we're best friends, it doesn't mean I have a right to know everything going on in your life."

I nod, smiling. 'Thank God that she's understanding.'

Emma gets up and starts towards the kitchen. "I'll just make some tea. Then, we can start from the top, yeah?" she says without turning back.

"Yeah."