6: hiraeth

Song: Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran

Sicily came into my life like melting snow; she was deliciously cool and melted away to reveal fields of flowers.

It must've been three months since we had become friends, a curious and mismatched duo so imperfectly tied together it was comical. We were inseparable and unfathomably in love. Sicily was a book, a tattered, torn book with a story of pure gold. Her laughter was the music that accompanied my beating heart.

I lived off of her. She gave me life through every piece of her; the way she bit her thumb when she was nervous, the curves of her hips hidden beneath my jersey, and white hair braided with flowers as vibrant as her eyes. I didn't feel lost or numb anymore. Her delicate hands kept my skin warm and her presence made me long for a home we never had together. 

The end of our junior year was blissful and sweet as rice pudding. We laughed in the halls for the sake of being alive, played old vinyl on top of my roof because music doesn't sound as good on the stereo, and snuck into the library at midnight to kiss in a sea of words written by those who desperately wanted to be heard.

Summer began and we continued on; we were Sicily and Emerson, and that was all we needed to be.