Chapter 1

I come home throwing my purse and my binder onto of the coffee table, and then slumping onto the couch. Once again I had a job interview, and once again I didn't get it because I was inexperience. I let out a sigh of defeat. I went to college for four years, but those years were for nothing if I not using my degree, in English with an emphasis on writing, for something.

"Maya are you here?" I shout from my self-pity from the couch. I wait for an answer, but nothing. "Maya?" I yell one more time, and again nothing.

I pull myself from my despair and wobble my way down the hall to Maya's bedroom. I knock, but no one responds but I can hear rustling coming from inside the room.

"Maya?" I try one last time as I knock. I give her a second to respond, but when no one does and the movement continues I lets myself in.

I see Maya painting on the floor with loads of different color paints around her. Maya has earphones in, that's why she wasn't answering. I walk up behind Maya accidently startling her.

"Riles! You scared me," Maya says with her hand over her heart.

I giggle lightly, "I'm sorry."

"How was the interview?" she asks pulling the earphones out.

I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm taking my portfolio of my writing, I took my mom's tips for interviews, but nothing. Maybe I'm not meant to be a writer."

Maya shakes her head, "You are. You just need to show some of your more personal writing," I start to shake my head, "You should, it's really good. That's what people look for."

I slowly lowers myself to the floor sitting with my back against Maya's bed, "I can't do that. It's not even exciting. My life is relatively boring if you haven't noticed." I sigh, "I just, I want to do what you do. You get to create art every day, something you love, and that's your job."

Maya smiles, "It was all because of you. If you hadn't had dragged me to the wine and painting class once you turned 21, I wouldn't have met Marcel who was impressed with my painting. Which was kind of sloppy since I had already drunk too much wine." We both start to laugh. "Seriously, Riles I owe this to you," Maya gesture to all the art around her room.

I shake my head, "Peaches, you would have been a big-time artist either way. You were just meant to become one sooner rather than later. When is your next art show by the way?"

Maya searches her brain for the date, "I think in a month."

"Can't wait."

"Neither can I," Maya smiles. "Anyways, what are your plans for tonight?"

"Devin wants to take me to this over the top extravagant restaurant for our five-year anniversary." A grin takes over Maya's face. "You know something that I don't know, don't you?"

"I'm not saying a word. My lips are sealed," she zips her lips and throws away the key.

"You really aren't going to tell me anything?" Maya shakes her head. "Well, okay then. What time is it anyways? He told me to be ready by seven, and I wanted to relax for a bit in a nice warm bubble bath."

Maya grabs her earphones and pulls on them until her phone appears from under the mess around her, "It's only five. You have time." I pull myself off the floor and make my way to the door. "Oh honey," I turn around to Maya, "there is an outfit for you already on your bed, and I'm going to come in and do your hair and make-up. So, you know what skip the bath, and take a shower instead."

I let out a deep sigh, "It's just dinner to celebrate mine and Devin's anniversary. Seriously it's not a big deal. I'd be happy with my favorite take out, and watching movies here or at his apartment."