𝟎𝟐.

[ NEW YORK, NEW YORK ]

"Who are you?" inquired Iron Man, poised to blast me off the building.

I hesitated. Fear and trust issues urged me to flee, to erase this encounter from existence. The desire to escape, find refuge in an alley, and navigate survival overpowered me. The fear was paralyzing, yet I couldn't dismiss the intense longing to break free from HYDRA's grip. I craved safety, understanding, and the chance to embrace risks for a fresh start.

I began to speak, and the words poured out uncontrollably once I started. "I'm sorry for intruding like this, but I'm scared and alone. I recently escaped from a HYDRA base, where I endured twelve years of experimentation. They killed my mother and father, and now I have no one to turn to. I can't risk seeking out distant family members because I fear they'll be harmed too." I took a quick breath. "I know I should've approached this differently, but I'm desperate for help and guidance. I believe you're like me — different. And I know you've fought against HYDRA before." I paused again, anticipating the Avengers to retaliate. I continued when they waited for me to speak further. "I just need to know where I can go to be safe. I won't survive if HYDRA finds me again."

Iron Man, Thor, and Black Widow exchanged glances, visibly conflicted. Black Widow locked eyes with me, offering a sympathetic look subtly hidden beneath her serious expression—a look I had received from fellow detainees after leaving the experimentation room. Thor maintained a stern and defensive demeanor, awaiting someone else to respond. Iron Man gradually lowered his arm, appearing less threatened and more skeptical.

He narrowed his eyes. "JARVIS, scan her."

"Yes, sir," echoed the same robotic voice I had heard moments earlier. A light emitted from Stark's mechanical hand, scanning my body from top to bottom. "Stella Kaiser," the voice began. "Twenty-two years old. News reports indicate she was abducted by HYDRA twelve years ago from Darmstadt, Germany. Her parents, Adam and Gaelle Kaiser, were also taken, but it is believed they were transported to a different base than their daughter's. HYDRA coerced Mr. Kaiser into surrendering all his company's funds for weapons and transport. Once Mr. Kaiser's company went bankrupt, they were deemed no longer useful to HYDRA, leading to their deaths being broadcast on live television throughout Germany." My stomach churned as I learned about my parents. Live television? I had always assumed the video was a punishment meant only for me. Instead, the world witnessed it, and I couldn't decide which was worse.

"Did you ... know about that?" Stark inquired, gazing at me with a hint of concealed pity.

"Yes," I gulped nervously as I spoke. "I was forced to watch it."

My tone was lifeless. I had seen the video a few years ago. Over time, I learned to confront my grief and come to terms with it. I taught myself to push the memory aside, pretending my parents were still alive and searching for me. I found the strength to keep surviving for their sake, even when the desire to give up weighed heavily on me.