Flower Child

Synopsis

"Oh my gosh, Karlie, you're glowing!" Annessa beamed enthusiacally.

Karlie blushed. "Nessa please don't hype my head up, you know I don't need that right now." She joked.

Both girls laughed in unison as they sat at a cute, quaint round table on the outside of La Pierre's Coffee Cafe.

"And why not? Girl you are beaming and glowing and I'm not even talking about that bomb highlighter." Annessa complimented, as she picked up her coffee cup and took a sip.

"Well, I have been feeling pretty damn free lately." Karlie confessed. "I mean like, my hair's been acting great -no wonderful, and you know if natural hair starts to act good...," she paused just as Annessa gave her that knowing look. "And, skin been on ten -no twenty fifty billion trillion," Karlie smiled at herself as she realized what she'd just admitted, what she told her trusted best friend.

Over the last three months, Karlie has not only been feeling great, but has been acting great, as well. Her life has dramatically flourished from something that caused her pain and heartbreak to endless possibilities; something that Karlie not only needed, but continuously prayed for.

"Faith without works is dead."
"If you don't ask, then you won't receive."

A smile illuminated her glowing dark skin as two quotes and bible verses came to mind. Thanks to her late father, who passed a year ago from a drunk driver motorcycle accident, Karlie knew that life was about to be lit.

"Whatchu smiling for?" Annessa asked, bringing Karlie our of her thoughts. "Absolutely everything," Karlie answered.

"Good! As you should because you deserve every good and positive thing that presents to you." Annessa complimented.

"You think so?"

"I know so." Annessa boldly stated. "You went through hell and back, and for a minute I didn't think you would make it. You suffered a great deal, what with fighting for your life with depression, good-for-nothing-just-to-use exes, family-why-y'all-fighting-matters, and so much more. You absolutely deserve the world," Annessa paused, gazing at her beautiful best friend since college.

She marveled at how amazingly smart and gorgeous Karlie grew to be. She grew into the woman that she's meant to be and she couldn't be any more prouder.

"You exemplify the definition of a flower child, my beautiful chocolate goddess." Annessa smiled, as she watched Karlie take in and absorb every word.

She meant what she said and hoped for the very best in her future.

Deep in her thoughts, she was brought out by a tight, bear squeeze from Karlie followed after a wet peck on the cheek.

"Thank you so much. Without you by my side, supporting me, I wouldn't have grown into the woman I am."

"Girl, its not a thing. I'm always here."

Both girls hugged once more, laughing and tearing up together, taking in the moment.

When they released, Annessa lastly spoke the hidden truth. "Once a flower child, always a flower child."

* * *

A story on finding yourself and coming to realize how beautiful you are. No matter what you go through, good nor bad, always remain the beautiful person that you are and that you're meant to be.

* * *

Coming May 2020